Stroma assessment earlier

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spaceman76, Jan 13, 2017.

1. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Had assessment earlier via Stroma, a bit peeved as I only got defined scope as was not up to scratch with condition reports and codes. The issue now is I cannot install new circuits, cu's, special locations; but I was assessed on CU change and it passed ? What can I do to get the full scope ? I will be enrolling on test & inspect as soon as. If I notified a full scope job , would it not be accepted ? I have pt 1 & 2 2360 and 17th. I was in the dark about condition reports, thought they were only needed for landlords, or for clients on their request, apparently my basic testing is not enough for full scope. How do get full scope, im in limboland now :eek:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Were their requirements not fully explained to you when you joined them then?
    Is this your initial assessment with them or an annual?

3. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Thanks for response, this is an initial assessment; I applied for full scope and mentioned I had no test and inspect quals but am confident doing basic tests, some of which I performed today and assessor was happy with. The requirements were not made exactly clear about condition reports when I enrolled, otherwise I would have studied them; he tells me I have to carry out a condition report before any CU change and keep it for my own records. If I (was) to change a CU obviously I would run tests on all circuits to see any issues, but filling in a condition report for this, is this absolutely necessary considering if I went ahead I would issue an EIC when its completed. Feel like ive been conned tbh

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hmm, unusual imho, the scams, oops, schemes, are all about money making, and as thus aim to give as much help/leeway as possible to get a prospective person/company through the vetting procedure.....:cool:

Joe95 and longboat like this.
  5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

There is no requirement to carry out an EICR before changing a c/unit, in fact I never do. When I was assessed by niceic 10 years ago I showed him a re-wire with c/unit change and done a few tests with him, answered some questions and that was it, full scope. I did already have C&G 2391 though.
    Thinking back I did also show him a minor works job, at that time they required to see two jobs, one of which could be a minor works one.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

I have no desire to carry out EICR's on any commercial basis. The necessary pre tests for a domestic CU are likely easier and I feel confident in doing them. I will complain tomorrw; however for one reason or another he has failed me for full scope. Also another thing im not sure about this assessor, his advised that a TNS SWA sub main run from a switch fuse to outside shed CU (which has rcd for final circuits) needs RCDing ?? Okay im not super confident but think im being taken advantage of

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You're correct it doesn't need rcd protection, (it would if it was a TT system though).

8. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Just as I thought when I designed and installed it ,but assessor tells me it does. This really is out of order, I mean what am I to do, he cant fail me on something that is correct, and some assumption that because I cannot wax lyrical about EICR codes I cannot change a consumer unit safely !

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I suppose this is because they include cover for you to do EICR's whithin your membership with them? With niceic it's an extra add-on, I don't do them anyway but I could if I wanted to but not under my membership with them so I couldn't put their logo on my report or the customers invoice.

10. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Yep, thats likely what its about in all its a real humdinger and no mistake !

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Stroma not been around very long but from what I hear from other sparks they sh$#@ which means they same as rest money grabbing bas#@$#@

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Only difference is that they're cheaper!

Sparkielev likes this.
  13. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Not for me ive just wasted £300

14. Sparkielev

You need to make a stand your assessor is clueless! he prob got his qualifications on the back of a bus ticket

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not excactly wasted. They have given you defined scope which will allow you to carry out certain tasks. They should have told you what you need to do to get full scope, test and inspect appears to be the main item from your first post.

Get yourself booked on a course and get the qualification then contact them again, send them a copy of your cert and request an upgrade to full scope. See what their reply is.

In the meantime you can still query their decision.

Kind regards

16. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Your not wrong, will be complaining promptly

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's a bit out of order isn't it Bazz!

18. Sparkielev

Napit do similar won't give full scope unless you have test and inspection, I hate paying my fees but unfortunately it what we have to do

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Test and inspection I can understand but EICR ?

20. Sparkielev

Yeah his assessor is clueless this is why they charge 300

seneca likes this.