Struggling to find a shower head replacement.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DozStanford, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DozStanford

DozStanford New Member

I'm trying to find a replacement head for our main shower and I'm having a bit of trouble.

The shower head is a traditional style gravity fed shower with an arm protruding from the wall with an articulation joint built onto the end of the arm (non removable).

The thread on the arm mount is female 18.5mm and the thread on the head is male 20.5mm.

The shower is made by Bramham and the head looks like this but with a male thread..
    https://ecdn.showerdoc.com/images/products/SK780024CP.jpg

Upon inspection the head does not appear to be fitted with any kind of adaptor.

All I seem to be able to find are heads with 1/2" mounting threads, am I on a wild goose chase, I know the shower is 11 years old but do I need to replace the arm and the head ???

2. DozStanford

DozStanford New Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In plumbing everything is BSP thread 1/2", 3/4", 1" etc.

Here a good linky explaing sizes: https://www.bspt.co.uk/

Most shower heads are 1/2 BSP thread size, but can be adapted to the larger 3/4 BSP.

European shower head might be an odd size.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. DozStanford

DozStanford New Member

Right I'm starting to answer my own question now.... I think.

18.5mm female / 20.5mm male = BSP 1/2"

All of the traditional style shower heads I've seen over the last hour of so all appear to be BSP 1/2" female thread, as such if I use a BSP 1/2" running nipple I could use this to couple a BSP 1/2" female thread head to our shower arm.. yes ?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BSP is not the physical measurement across the thread.

6. DozStanford

DozStanford New Member

Well I tried my best to measure the internal diameter of the female "hole" on the arm and external diameter of the thread on the head with a calliper, which is how I got the above measurements.