Stud Wall help

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gary B, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Gary B

Gary B New Member

I wish to split a room, the stud work is partly under a lintle of the old front door ( not sure metal or concrete ) The wall is to run from the front where i took this pic to the existing front door. the long run is fine as i can pick up in the attic, its the short return im asking about its the corner 27" could this be fixed with no more nails, the upright and floor i can get a good fix on.

IMG_20170624_100404521.jpg

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes, but perhaps use one of the high performance gun adhesives. Be more like a tenner a tube instead of a couple of quid for the cheaper "no more nails", although does depend a bit on what you are actually fixing to.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Clear silicone or expanding foam, lots of dips and hollows in ceilings.

5. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket Active Member

So what is an example of a high performance gun adhesive please?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

CT1. But you really don't need it, it's overkill.

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Hmm, 27" stud wall. Top rail unsupported except for adhesive. Think I'd use something better than "no more nails". Someone bangs into that stud, and the top rail will need to be well fixed to stop it breaking away. I was thinking about one of the grab adhesives. There's this one https://tinyurl.com/y959jwg5 and gorilla do a similar one. I've used another brand of something similar from my local merchant, but can't remember what it is, but it's about a tenner and does the job when other adhesives don't.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

In this instance, fix sole plates first, then the two end wall studs tight to the ceiling fixed into the walls and sole plate, then cut the head plate to fit in between the end studs, put whatever adhesive/foam/glue you want on one side, then offer it up and fix to the two end studs, it can't ever go anywhere and once you've cut an intermediate stud to fill in the middle of the wall, it will be wedged tight in position.

9. Gary B

Gary B New Member

yep thats the way to go, it will have a solid fix at either end. thanks for the advice and putting mind at ease.