studded wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by skimmer, Sep 24, 2016.

1. skimmer

skimmer Member

about to stud out a room with 2x2 timber/plasterboarded/skimmed, kept off the wall 25mm with 2 vents vented externally for air flow to reduce condensation there is no insulation being used as the customer dont want it as there is no building regs involved, i have been told i could use a vapour barrier or similar to stop warm moist air going through the new wall and condensing on the existing stone wall,is it needed as there is now a flow of air,thanks

2. Yes, that would make sense - a vapour barrier behind the p'board.

Or use foil-backed p'board - easier?

What's this room for? He's nuts if he doesn't fit even a thin layer of insulation, tho'. Nuts.

If he uses insulated p'board - p'board with insulation already bonded to the back - then he'll cover all the requirements; vapour barrier, insulation, p'board.

Not that it would conform, of course - 'conforming' requires a stupid amount of insulation. But even the thinnest TLB - which is around 35mm overall - would make the room HUGELY more comfy.

Oh, and fit 25mm treated timber blocks - glued to the brick wall (StixAll?) - to act as spacers to keep the whole thing from shaking like a leaf.

I'd use treated 2x2s too, to be sure to be sure...

3. skimmer

skimmer Member

some say use polythene but wouldnt that sweat and wouldnt breathable felt be better,

4. Not sure - others will be along to advise further :)