Supplies bonding...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Doing a renovation project, currently on a 16th edition board so I'm prepping for an upgrade.

Got the 10mm bond in to the gas supply, but not to the water which comes in on the other side of the house.

Gas meter is halfway between the CU and the water inlet, can I continue the run from the gas meter, or does it only meet the regs if it's a completely independent run?

Cheers

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

yes you can carry on the bond to the water from the gas bond.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The bonding conductor needs to be in one length, ie not two lengths, but looped though the BS951 clamp on the gas.
    Its done like that so if some muppet takes off the gas bond, the connection to the water is maintained.

KIAB and fire like this.
  4. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Yes you can, what has not been mentioned is that the earth cable must be continuous, that means the earth wire must not be cut until it reaches the furthest point, you need strip the insulation away at the mid point and not cut the copper conductor then bind it to the bonding point and so on. The earth cable must be one entire piece from CU to end point, NOT CU to gas bond then cut and a new piece connected heading off to water pipe bond

KIAB likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ha, me first!!

fire likes this.
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EC16.html

I find the above are excellent..posted is suitable for the 22mm gas, and also water which might be 15mm ct (maybe from leadlock) or could in rare instances be barrel (buy clamp for pipe size and use heavy duty)

As said dont cut the cable at gas position - rather strip insulation carefully and loop copper, squeeze the loop and push into clamp and tighten both screws down on the plate.

A cursory continuity test from met to gas and water position is indicated, and the reading should be 0.05 ohms or less..the pipe itself is where the probe/croc on wander lead will be connected/probed..not straight on the clamps

7. leesparkykent

There is no regulation stating the bond has to be continues but of course its regarded as best practise.

Joe95, TP&N and KIAB like this.
  8. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Nice,

Cheers for the quick replies chaps. As Lee says, I couldn't find anything in the regs to say it categorically was not allowed, but I couldn't find anything to say it was either!

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It's typical practice in this case to disconnect the existing bonding conductor, through crimp it to the new length, and then strip an inch of insulation, fold the conductor back on itself and connect to the clamp. The cable is then continuous past the first clamp.

10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

On a related matter our gas meter is being moved outside as part of an general area upgrade of the supply pipes from lead and iron or steel to yellow plastic. The gas meter will be about 10 meters from the earthing point near the CU.
    Is 10mm sq cable still OK for this distance?

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes 10mm is fine.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agree with Lee, this "continuous length" business is a common misconception, there's nothing in the regs. that states it.

TP&N and leesparkykent like this.
  13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Thank you very much.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That may be, but you'll fail an assessment with NICEIC if it is not continuous. Happened to my buddy.

15. leesparkykent

I would of contested it until the cows come home!

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Pretty sure it is in the GN, but not the actual regs. NIC are hot on this contentious issue!

17. leesparkykent

Yeah its in guidance note 8.

18. leesparkykent

The thing is you couldn't code it on an EICR so how the NICEIC can fail someone on their assessment for it is beyond me.

TP&N likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Because the niceic think they are the law and invented electricity

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Why would it need bonding?