Supply to a 63A Consumer Unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spike47, Oct 1, 2016.

1. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi

I need to put a 63A RCB 6 way weatherproof consumer unit ( Garage unit ) with 2x6A , 2x20A , 1x32A MCB's, in my workshop at my farm , now the supply to it, comes from the Main 83A 3 phase fuse box on the other side of the wall where I want to mount this unit , the length of cable would be around 500mm max .

Question , with it being such a short length of cable for the feed could I use a 6mm2 cable ! , as I have loads of it, but no 10mm2 .

cheers

spike

2. Never heard of an 83a fuse box.
    You could use 6mm as long as you use a suitable breaker for it.
    But that will cut down the loading you can use.

spike47 likes this.
  3. spike47

spike47 Member

63A ! .

4. spike47

spike47 Member

Should also have said , 2x16A and 2x6A and 1x20A MCB's .

5. spike47

spike47 Member

Attached BS7671

Attached Files:

6. If it is normal pvc you have you are loooking at the wrong table.
    I would call an Electrician to give you a quote.

spike47 likes this.
  7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

see this on another forum :eek:

spike47 likes this.
  8. spike47

spike47 Member

Thanks guy's for your replies , Yes was talking rubbish ( sorry ) Have changed the Main supply fuse from 83A to a Lawson 63A , and used a 10mm2 cable to supply the 63A RCD , yes I know really should put in 16mm2 tails ! .

spike

9. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi

Thanks for your feedback , the lights (lights 60W ) are only for the Tack room x1 and grain store x1 , chicken room x2 , the sockets are for these rooms only , they are part of the main workshop ( but they are separated ) it all was the Cow shed !.

The Main workshop wiring is fine ( off the blue phase ) , anyway what I have done is :

Have changed the Main supply fuse feeding the 63A RCD from 83A to a Lawson 63A ,( this is off the Yellow phase , house is off the Red phase ) and used a 10mm2 cable to supply the 63A RCD , yes I know I really should put in 16mm2 tails ! , needed it doing today

ps: I would not do anything until I was 100% sure it was right , that is why I am asking the questions , maybe stupid questions but if I get the correct answer at the end that is what I will do ! , not before .
    I am not a Electrician as you have guessed , I am a time served mechanic so I do have a bit of savvy about me , not a lot but a bit ! , as they say in my trade you learn something everyday ! .

spike

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/supply-to-a-63a-rcb.467722/#ixzz4Ltk1uUJ4

10. spike47

spike47 Member

Just to clarify , the main supply fuse I am referring to is not the DNO fuses , it is mine in the workshop .