Supply to a bathroom.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billfromarran, Feb 24, 2017.

1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

Hello, new here so would like some advice.

I am putting in a bathroom in an old cottage, working from scratch. I plan to fit one electric towel rail, one 500 watt underfloor heating mat and one extractor fan...(all From Screwfix).
    Obviously they will all need separate fused spur units.. The existing wiring in the house is about 3-4 years old. The adjacent room to the bathroom was recently used as a kitchen and there is a 30 amp cooker supply which is now surplus to requirements as the cooker isnow in the new kitchen and wired separately. The supply box is conveniently situated and would be ideal to use for the bathroom supply.
    Question is.. can I use this 30 amp cable to feed three separate spur units, each of which would be wired in to the bathroom ..one to the towel rail, one to the underfloor mat and one to the extractor fan.
    Being a 30 amp supply it would obvously be a big enough cable, but might be too thick to fit into the terminals ..Could I take it into a junction box and then split the supply 3 ways?
    There is an RCD in the consumer unit.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What size is the cable in the 30A supply? 4, 6 or even 10 sq mm.

When you say 30A - what are you using to define that? Fuse? MCB?

And depending in the type of fan installed you may need a 3 pole isolator too.

3. billfromarran

The cable is 6 mm... when I said 30 amp, I was referring the to cooker cable, The MCB in that suppy is rated 30 A.

The Fan is the Showerlite in ine extractor fan, installed in the roof space with a pull switch at the shower .

4. billfromarran

I am trying to divide the old cooker supply in order to feed three separate switched spur units. What is the correct way to do this?

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Use a 30 amp junction box from the 6mm cable and run 3 separate 2.5mm cables to your fused spurs. 2.5mm is adequate because there will be no chance of overload as each output is restricted to 13 amps.

6. billfromarran

Thanks Seneca.. that's what \I wanted to know. It seems that S/Fix don't do a 60 A box, but I should be able to get one from a electric supplier.
    Thanks again for your help.. much appreciated.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As an addition. The regs dictate that ALL circuits in a bathroom must be protected by a 30mA RCD.
    There may be an RCD "in" the consumer unit, but does it protect that old cooker supply ?

8. Pollowick

Why 60A ? What you need to ensure is that the junction box you choose is suitable for 6mm cable.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

10. Pollowick

Have you also consider including a Shaver & Toothbrush socket too?

11. billfromarran

My mistake.... I meant 30Amp.

12. billfromarran

No.... there is one in the other bathroom, but thanks for the suggestion.

13. billfromarran

It would appear to ... if I trip the RCD it shuts off the power to the old socket. Thanks

14. Pollowick

A bit of a nuisance having to take the toothbrush from one to the other when it needs charging though.

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It won't be big enough for your 6mm cable!
    Here's the spec

CED JB30W 30A 3 Terminal large junction box White
    Part Number: CEDJB30W

30amp 250volt 3 terminal White Selective Junction Box accepts up to 4 x 4.0mm2 cable conductor. Height 38mm x Diameter 92mm BS6220

16. billfromarran

Not a problem....I just dump my gnashers in a glass of acid by the bedside overnight!