suspended stud ceiling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Aug 20, 2017.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Hi all need advice i'm doing a 3x2 cls kitchen ceiling about a foot lower than existing. Is 400 centres right, do fire regs require 12mm plasterboard, when is foil backed required, do I run the long edge of pb at right angle to the joists and can I screw support noggins just through the two edges of plaster board to stop movement at joints

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

400 centres, support the 3x2 mid span with timber hangers fixed up into your original ceiling joists to stop any sag, it does require half inch plasterboard but that's to stop the board sagging more than fire, although you're killing two birds with one stone by doing this, you don't need foilback in this instance, boards go at right angles to joists, and ideally you should meet the edges of plasterboard on a joist to eliminate any potential cracking later on.

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Thanks Jord it's nice to be nice. I called a Plasterer this morning and he said half inch too. I did it today and put the 3x2 joists in at 450 centres for a 1800x900 board opposite way to joists. He said with it being half inch it doesn't need noggins. Plasterer is boarding it now too. Happy days

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Best advice I can give with ceilings is to get someone else to do them!

GoodwithWood and John Bunyan like this.