Switching 40A Underfloor Heating

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by micktheknife, Apr 12, 2015.

1. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

UN
    100W/m2 for comfort...160...for standard rooms 200 for High output
    Depends on floor finish, sub floor type and insulation of slab.
    And room use.
    RS

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

. . .equivalent to running a shower to heat a floor. . . £££££

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes I know. Thanks anyway.

Regards

4. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

Sorry Just one final question - Where do I connect the control wires (A1 A2 on the contactor coil currently) and the load wires ????

5. Now you can have a go roy. Go get him.

6. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

I was thinking the same thing, thats gonna cost about £1.20 an hour under full load ! (I know its not all the time etc)

7. retiredsparks

You,,,dont....it looks like a qualified person should !!
    RS

Risteard likes this.
  8. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

Is that why you can't help :):):)

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

While this is only a 25amp version, you can see the AC "trigger" on 3/4 and the "switched" terminals being 1/2.

[​IMG]

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/00a7/0900766b800a7bd5.pdf

40m/sq floor area is substantial, and with the heat losses of a conservatory, I am not surprised by the loading. If it was wet rads or panel heaters, you would be looking at least 4 I reckon, based on some pubs with conservatories we have done (heating spec done by another). 4 x 2kw heaters is a similar loading.

10. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

Thanks Lectrician - always best to ask if not sure (never too old to learn)

11. retiredsparks

I can help, I can advise; But after 47 years in various technical roles I also know when NOT to advise people (no offense intended)
    I do feel that you should have designed the parameters of this installation before installing it, including the control system.
    The relevant technical data is available on line and via the tech help lines of the manufacturers/suppliers (who sometimes are manned by numpties to be fair )
    I realise its often quicker to ask a question on here and get info from the guys who are doing particular stuff on a regular basis.
    (huge knowledge base on here...excluding the usual moronic, non helpful, boring, tedious, uninteresting, annoying, squint eyed fornicating gits)
    But the wording of your original question indicated a lack of basic knowledge of these systems ?
    RS

12. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

yawn o_O

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Oh my.......lol RS

14. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

How lossy are those solid state relays, if you need a big heat sink then there must be a fair bit of energy lost that way.

15. Lectrician

Really?

His first post explained things perfectly,he has done what most would do and install a contactor. He understands how to wire that, how it works, and didn't try frying a 16amp controller. Some people in this thread couldn't even grasp how the contactor was working, perhaps they shouldn't be advised in the future?

These solid state relays are rare, and most sparkies will never come across them. If it's new to you, it's fine to ask. He asked the right questions. If I had done the install, I would of gone with a contactor most likely. The solid state stuff are more for their switching duty (regular on/off/on/off) rather than their silence.

16. retiredsparks

"and most sparkies will never come across them"..."perhaps they shouldn't be advised in the future?"
    Quite right Lec........
    RS

You asked a direct question and got a direct answer....and your reply was "yawn".
    Well done.
    RS

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

As I can't see Lecs posts anymore I don't know what he advised. But the lengths being taken to remedy the fact that a 16A device is being used in a 40A circuit suggests that the original design was floored (sorry flawed :) ). Quite why a conservatory would require an u/f heating system in the first place is questionable; then to use the 200W/m2, presumably as the source for heating the conservatory, as a design criterion is quite unusual. Not least because if you provide heat in a conservatory then the building Regulations treat it as an extension and all the insulation rules apply. You cannot meet the insulation citeria in a conservatory because of the large areas of glass. The owner clearly has more money than sense or has been poorly advised.

The u/f heating I referred to was for a refurbished kitchen and the 150W/m2 was adopted purely as a comfort to make the tiles nice to walk on.

Oh well.

18. Lectrician

:rolleyes: Love you.

19. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Lectrician says he loves you.

20. Lectrician

He knows. :oops:

He feels powerful pretending he doesn't click the "show ignored post" button. :)