Tape and jointing screw heads

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by wiggy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Afternoon gents.

A work mate and I are debating do you tape or not tape over pb screw heads when tape and jointing.

I reckon its got to be best practise.

your opinions please

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

very little hard plastering get's done up here, we've probably used every tape/fill bod here at some time or other

none of them have ever taped over the screws, just set them slightly below flush (leaving a ickle recess) and skim over - sorry if that's cost you a pint :(

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

What if you where skimming the whole wall,

would you then tape over screw heads?????

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I wouldn't, but painting and plastering are jobs I avoid like the plague - I've never known anyone to tape the heads then skim the whole wall

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would only tape, tapered joint plaster board, or on flat joint where the whole surface is skimmed, then tape between the wall and ceiling joints, never tape over screw heads, just do as Sean said and set screw just below plaster board, using a special screw holder.

66573.jpg

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Looks like I will be buying the beer on that one then.

Another "debate" we have been having is how to finish window reveals.

My mate reckons they should be finished the same as the walls.

I am saying you can finish them anyway you like, contrasting colour etc.

what are you lads saying??

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's just a personal choice - as long as they are insulated, it doesn't matter to me if the client wants to paint them vermilion yellow to match their putrescent pink walls