Terminating NYY-J in Shed

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mackie, Aug 28, 2014.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi,

Scenario for you. NYY-J running 10 metres to shed from a CU in the house (dedicated as no slots in current CU). How do I terminate it in the shed. Someone from work says it has to run into another CU in the shed which will plit the lights and sockets.

I am just trying to work out how much parts will cost before contacting a sparkie to come out (dont worry I am not going to be going anywhere near connecting the CU in the house to the mains)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

It can be terminated into an adaptable box with a stuffing gland, then onto a sockets and an FCU for lights and switches.

Or a CU with separate circuits for lights and sockets.

If the house is supplied PME then you can't export the earth to the shed if anything in the shed requires main equipotential bonding. In which case terminate in a CU and TT the shed installation.

Ask your sparkie to break down the costs for you. I do if asked.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

That cable is not suitable for burial if wishing to comply to the regs, even though it states its suitable. It's fine for being clipped externally, it's UV stability and tough sheath make it ideal for this.

Terminate it with a normal TRS gland. Directly into a metal clad socket. Add a galv conduit coupler with a brass bush to give a tad more room if required. Then add a switched fused for the light. No need for a second CU for a small install like this.

RCD protection at origin, and consider your earthing requirements.

FatHands likes this.