Terracotta copings stones - Old wall repair

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Trying to source flat copings stones, to repair some that have been broken, rang local reclamation yard to see if they have any, not seen anywhere in town where there are any similar. Can brick makers make the same match.

Sizes are 8½" x 12¾ x 1½"

Also looking to remove the mortar hunching, and replace with a lead free flashing (so no one will nick), as getting some damp through inside house.

upload_2016-7-25_10-19-22.png

upload_2016-7-25_10-20-26.png

upload_2016-7-25_10-20-40.png

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Haunching was probably put there for a earlier damp problem.
    Will need to look further afield for some, not going to be cheap, having brick plinth stretcher specials made also won't be cheap, need to make mould, etc, all takes time, where about are you.

Years ago, job I did, owner had reproduction dragons made for replacement roof finials made,perfect match.

http://www.colefordbrick.co.uk/bespoke-specials/

http://www.bovingdonbricks.co.uk/specials/

http://www.northcotbrick.co.uk/brick_types_special_shaped.php

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would say that the wall is as old as the church, its the boundary wall for it. House was built a lot later (1900-1910) judging by brickwork in Warwickshire.

The haunching was put there about 2008, and is now loose, doesn't look good either. because wall isn't too high have to go for a lead free flashing as people will steal it, other house on opposite side had people steel the flashing.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi jit. what is mortar hunching mate?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its the mortar that's been shaped against the wall, I think the builder even put pieces of slate underneath, as the gap against the house wall was quite big.

Middle portion of wall had been rebuilt at some time using.

I've emailed north cote bricks (Gloucestershire) for a quote.

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The sloping mortar top of coping against wall.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    FatHands likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Northcot Bricks are very good.:)

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Used to be an old brickwork's in the town, but closed down I heard in the 50's as ran out of clay.

Northcote bricks are available at the local builders merchant, as they are the closed match now unless buying reclaimed ones.

Must be the oldest wall in the street as was probably built just before the church.

I will get some prices and go back to them, i think i could make a better job of the pointing, will take out any damaged bricks if they say it is ok.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When I've done similar, usually replace a couple at a time over a few days, or if I'm feeling ambitious, I will use acrows/strongboys & do five or six & leave them a few days, before moving onto the next ones.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Norhtcote emailed, and said they can't make them said go to reclamation yard :(

Knowing the church they will probably stick concrete coping stones on :eek:

The other option is to use reconstitute stone, but don't think it would give the same appeal.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Suprised!:eek:

Reconstituted stone.[​IMG]

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

e-mail Ruabon quarry tiles, who said they could make, price is £18+VAT.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not too bad a price.

I alway forget they made bricks, just think of them for quarry tiles.:oops:

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I know it's not the same thing, but could you not adapt something like this

Just cut them down to the correct length, would be much cheaper

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ruabon have emailed back saying to look at reclamation yards, price wasn't too bad either.

There must be niche for making these things, they were made probably about 1860's as very basic tools.

i dont think the roof tiles will work.

Just wondering where nearly half of them have dissapeared, when the wall was restored?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't need to be Sherlock to work that one out, very sort after nowadays, fetching good prices, will have to look in Yell for reclaimation yards in your area.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't like reconstitute stone either, just doesn't look right on an old wall.

Found these which are a good price, but would need cutting down to length as are 18", and 4" deep -otherwise may have been an option.

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member