testing and inspection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by AlexGoode, Mar 23, 2014.

1. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

Hi, I am new to the Screwfix forum and for my first post, i am an electrical Apprentice and am currently learning about inspection and inspection. i was wondering if there was someone out there who could help by guiding me through the stages for testing or tell me the name of a good website to use as there are some parts of the testing process which i seem to struggle with. thanks very much

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi Alex, i'm not a leccie but here's a good tip on testing

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Best to do the relevant C & G course, it was 2391 but it's a different number now.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

C&G 2391 was never meant to teach electricians how to test. It required a thorough knowledge of BS7671 and practical hands-on experience of installing and testing to enable practising electricians to formalise their knowledge. It was really intended as a recognition that you could do it. Incidentally, when I entered the trade in 2003 I often heard electricians using the excuse; "I can't test I haven't got 2391." It was often used and I thought back then what a load of baloney.

My advice to you is do testing, as often as you can, practice on your own home if necessary and read GN3. Don't even attempt any C&G course until you have familiarised yourself doing tests. And don't listen to people who use the excuses. Just do it. That's how I learned and I passed my C&G2391 without a problem.

FatHands likes this.
  6. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

Thanks for all the replies, didn't think i would get so many, as 'unphased' says, i have thought about the possibility of testing some circuits on my own home but will see about the possibility of a c+g course. am currently at college this week and we are continuing to practice testing so will see what happens. thanks

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

To be honest, all electricians should be able to inspect and test.
    You need to be able to I&T your own work, and if making alterations to existing installations, you would in many instances have to I&T some if not all of the existing installation.
    Having a separate qualification for I&T, has always seemed to me to be a waste of time and money.

8. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

thanks spinlondon, as i said earlier in the thread, i am only an apprentice but am certainly willing to widen my electrical experience where possible. i am starting my inspection and testing practical exam at college on Wednesday but have grasped the concept of it all a little more today as we learnt live testing- didn't know what was to be worried of, the dead testing is harder in my view. just watched the posted video also, slighty random?

9. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

Not random. Just someone with a sense of humour, thankfully....

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Tongue in cheek is the phrase you were looking for Alex :cool:

11. AlexGoode

AlexGoode Member

oh ok then, well thanks anyways.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Alex, a very important tool in testing is the multimeter, and here's my take on multimeter testing