The Shed of Dreams - Allotment shed build

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by blackteaonesugar, Oct 13, 2016.

1. blackteaonesugar

blackteaonesugar New Member

Hi. Thought I'd share some build photos from my shed which I built last year, and has evolved since then.
    It was my first try at building something on this scale, I'm normally found making furniture and teach cabinetmaking at a college.

I entered it into the Amazing Spaces Shed of the Year competition on Channel 4 this year too and was lucky enough to come second, just getting pipped by an awesome Eco shed with a grass roof.
    I wrote an article for Good Woodworking magazine on the building of it and it's coming up in the mag in the next few months I think if anyone's interested.

I designed it in Google Sketchup and the design was pretty much dictated by what materials I had available. We had contractors in at work and as contractors usually do, they left a shed load of materials behind, including some lovely Larch planks and a lot of moisture resistant MDF. It was Easter break and so I had a few days in the workshop to make something while the students were off.
    [​IMG]

I saw a technique online from a dude building boat shelters, essentially laminating which I'd done plenty of times but this was a 'dry' technique, screwing blocks between two members to lock them into position.

Creating a former on the floor.
    [​IMG]

I made more than 8 members but only 8 made the cut. Some snapped due to knots. You can see that some sprung back more than others too but this wouldn't be such an issue with a ridgebeam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put temporary diagonal bracing on it which wouldn't be needed when I got the 'skin' on. This was to be 9mm moisture resistant mdf, with some 9mm plywood extensions to get the length I needed.
    It's 12 foot long by the way, so 3 sheets of 8x4', and 8' wide.

[​IMG]

Once I'd skinned the sides, I did the ends, making a door frame to suit an old door I got out of a skip.

[​IMG]

Then for some windows, I got hold of some washing machine doors from the tip, making a single window above the door...

[​IMG]

...and a Gothic 'Trefoil' at the back.
    I also added a bit of a gnarly tree.

[​IMG]

Once I'd done the workshop stage, it was off to site.

Sinking the big log pilings, 6 in total and postcreted in place level.

[​IMG]

Setting the base framework onto the pilings.

[​IMG]

The initial framework up.

[​IMG]

Waterproof membrane added over the skin.

[​IMG]

Starting the mammoth task of fitting shingles. Each shingle is hand cut with a taper jig on the bandsaw and they are all basically hardwood offcuts out of our scraps bin, so Oak, Cedar, Walnut, Treated softwood, Sapele, Cherry, Maple, Sycamore etc...

[​IMG]

You can see my rainwater collection system here too. Basically a hosepipe, wrapped in felt strung in a swooping arc towards the back of the shed and funnelled into two water butts.

[​IMG]

It was quite hard to exit the flue through the roof at such a steep angle but managed it with a gasket.
    Insulation going in too, from Screwfix of course!

[​IMG]

Tool carousel and old school desk cut in half lengthways to fit the curved wall.

[​IMG]

Shingles all done and toasty fires on the go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filming day, hanging out with the crew and all the other finalist 'sheddies'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a short video detailing some of the making too. On Youtube here.

[video]

Cheers.
    Hope you like it. I've since gone on to build another shed on the same allotments which has been a lot of fun. :)

leesparkykent, Jord86 and SWBUILDERS like this.
  2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Excellent post there. Loads of pics and a video. Great design and all from recycled/reclaimed materials. ;);)

3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Waw! Superb project. Well done. A great design and unique.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Don't forget to plant them bulbs :)

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

LED?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Alliums?

I like the sweetcorn :)

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Daffs for me

SWBUILDERS likes this.
  8. Bravo! :D:D:D

Love it :D

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Roll Royce of sheds![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rather impressed with this,absolutly brilliant design, like the wood burner.[​IMG]

Worthy of a 'shed of the year' award!

10. enc

enc Active Member

Wow ! amazing work. i struggle to put up a shelf :confused:

11. Wayne Finnemore

Wayne Finnemore New Member

12. Wayne Finnemore

Wayne Finnemore New Member

A truly great piece of work!

13. HoppyProphet

HoppyProphet New Member

Brilliant. I love sheds and this is as unique as they come

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Great piece of work and didn't require a massive amount of timber

Didn't fancy bending some trellis over a part of the roof for some climbers ?

15. blackteaonesugar

blackteaonesugar New Member

Thanks. Yes it's evolved a bit now and I have some old tools and things attached to the roof with some honeysuckle climbing up.
    The ends get quite weathered and so I may extend the top section of roof at some point to create 'hoods' to give a bit more cover.

16. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

WELL.
    What a wonderful effort.
    I like to think of myself as a bit of a DIYer but my efforts fade into insignificants
    in comparison.

Well done YOUNG MAN lol

Johnny M

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I remember that episode on the TV! It was quite a while ago.

Very nice work, some great ingenuity there:).

18. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Now you've finished the easy job, you should get on with the proper job of planting some crops.
    Well done you

19. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Now you've finished the easy job, you should get on with the proper job of planting some crops.
    Well done you