Thermostatic mixer shower advice please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hampshire rosie, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Hi, we're updating our bathroom and, ideally, would like a thermostatic mixer shower over the bath. However I've been given conflicting advice regarding whether this is possible.

The problem comes in two parts. One is that we currently have a gravity fed system. Back boiler downstairs (quite old but still working fine so don't really want to replace it until it gives up the ghost) Hot water cylinder upstairs in the bedroom next door to bathroom which means the hot water pressure isn't that brilliant but I understand a shower pump could help with this (?)
    Eventually, I realize the back boiler will keel over and need to be replaced - probably with a combi-boiler, I imagine - so, if possible, we'd like a shower which can cope with the old and new systems.

The second problem - and this is where I've been given conflicting advice - is that our cold water enters the house, goes to the bathroom taps BEFORE trotting off upstairs to the tank in the loft. Is that known as a "Direct feed"? Some "bathroom people" say there's no problem having a thermostatic mixer shower with this set up and others tell me that the world will end, the sky will fall in, etc. if we do.

As you can imagine, I'm a bit confused and would greatly welcome any help you can offer.
    Thanking you in advance!

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hi Rosie.
    Given your stated set up there is no problem for you to have a Thermostatic shower, but you will need to have your water balanced, so if your mains feeds the bathroom directly you will need to only increase the hot pressure. This can be done by fitting a single impeller shower pump either in the airing cupboard or in the loft. These are not overly expensive neither is the fitting of them dependant upon system layout.

However if and when you do convert to a combi it will become redundant as the boiler itself provides both hot and cold at mains pressure. Having said that you don't have to have a combi put in, if your happy with your airing cupboard and the system you have you could possibly (dependant upon siting the boiler) a heat only boiler.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

hampshire rosie likes this.
  3. Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Yes, that certainly does make things clearer.

However, at the risk of sounding like a complete dead loss, may I please ask you a quick question?

We already have a pump in the airing cupboard which shoves the water around the radiators rather than it crawling around the system at a snail's pace. Is the pump you mentioned a similar sort of thing and, if so, is there any problem with having the 2 pumps in the same airing cupboard?

Thank you for your time and advice.

Rosie

4. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

5. Thank you, Plumberbish, for your reply. There's already an electric socket in and near the airing cupboard so that's not a problem. Thank you, your help is much appreciated!

6. Plumberbish

No problem, Dave have you the answer really, I just clarified...good luck

7. Hi, I'm new to this forum malarkey so please forgive me if I'm asking a questions which isn't allowed.

Following on from my original query, do you think this Bristan Thermostatic shower would be OK?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bristan-a...al-control-mixer-shower-built-in-chrome/5567d

Is Bristan a good brand? I've been advised to steer clear of Triton and Mira showers - does that sound good advice to you? Which brands do you recommend without paying "silly" money.
    So many brands, so little knowledge (in my case)

Any help and advice gratefully received!!!

8. Dave does Gas

Hi Rosie
    Bristan are a decent brand,and they usual supply the easy fit kit which as an installer is a god send. Im a little surprised you've been told to avoid Triton and Mira because next to Trevi they are arguably the best brands on the market.

Incidentally where a bouts in "Ampshire" are you, Im down in sunny Southampton

9. Plumberbish

I've not had a lot of experience with bristan, heard they're good but I have had one that a customer supplied where the handle was sticking and really hard to turn but that might've just been a one off...most of my customers want fancy grohe ibox kits so I don't have a lot of experience with normal showers lol

10. Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your advice - very kind of you to help!
    Maybe we'll ignore the info about avoiding Triton and Mira. The only reason I can think of about avoiding them is perhaps someone had a ropey shower from these brands and now they think everything they make is rubbish(?). You know how people are at times; They have problems with a Ford car and then they say ALL Fords are unreliable but thousands of people drive about in Fords with no trouble!

Anyway, I'll cross Triton and Mira off the "avoid" list. (which probably means you'll get more messages saying, "What do you think of this?"!!!!)

We are from "not so sunny" Portsmouth, just along the coast from your "sunny" Southampton. (Oh, perhaps I ought not have told you that because, seeing as Saints and Pompey football teams are sworn enemies, you might not give us any more of your lovely, helpful advice!!!!)

Thanks again,
    Rosie

Dave does Gas likes this.
  11. Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, your help is greatly appreciated!

You've probably just made a rod for your own back. I'd never heard of a "Grohe Ibox" so I've just googled it. Ooh, that looks interesting. There could well be more pleas for help and advice heading your way ............ BRACE YOURSELVES CHAPS!!!!!

12. Dave does Gas

OMG I can't even speak to you, Its against Ampshire law :)

Don't worry Im not one of those that takes the rivalry to the extremes that some do, I love the friendly banter that most of us have.
    Im quite often down your way working so feel free to ask for advice, if I can give it I will