This is how it all went wrong !! Loft boarding = Condensation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Euster, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Euster

Euster New Member

I recently had my loft professionaly insulated to the current spec's , before that my 20yr old house just had 75mm worth of the shreaded paper to go inline with the 75mm cross members.
    We I asked the guy laying the insulation if I did want to board just the centre part how could I do it and he said to just roll of the centre part of the new insulation and board straight over it .
    So I did that and I rolled the excess insulation up and placed it in the eve's ( no were near the edge to block the air ways)
    So what I was left with was my 75mm cross beams , shreaded paper upto the 75mm and a plastic sheet over the top , in which I layed some flooring boards over to cover the central area of the roof
    After a couple of months I went up and found some condensation off the outer parts of the plastic sheet and put my hand under the boards and felt some moisture which I thought was not good.
    I have today riped it all up ( after emptying the loft !!! ) and there is a bit of moisture under there and the tops of the beams are damp.

My Questions are if any body can help are

1 / Were did I go wrong

2 / Should I have keeped the plastic sheet there

3 / Should I have taken some of the shreaded paper out so leaving a gap between the paper and the flooring board

4 / Will the rolled up excess insulation sitting in the roof cavity hinder the air flow

5 / As the beams are slightly damp - what process should I take to dry these out

Any help out there people would be much appriciated   ( pictures attached )

Best Regards
    Euster

Attached Files:

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

There has to be airlow in the roof and also between the boards and insulation underneath.

3. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

See attached doc for reply

Attached Files:

4. LoftBoardingNW

LoftBoardingNW New Member

I know its a while since this was posted, but there will still be others that experience this problem.
    Let me give you a 2014 answer to this problem.

If your going to board your loft for storage, never put plastic sheets down, plastic condensates, always build a raise floor using a sub-frame system so you can lay board on to the sub-frame not directly on to the joists, we just don't do that anymore for obvious reasons.

Removing or squashing your insulation is not the right thing to do, its their for a reason so don't remove it and don't squash it down, it decreases its efficiency considerably as it needs air flow to work.

The idea of creating a raised platform is to allow the all important air flow under the boarding and around your loft. Never completely board out your loft, just the easy to access areas or highest areas mainly the centre of your loft, keep the eaves free for air circulation.
    Use a product like LoftZone StoreFloor which is a 270mm (11") three component stilt and beam system available direct for DIY or installed *

Here are some samples of how loft boarding should look..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2014
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Very good SPAM

6. LoftBoardingNW

Thank you, but its not spam, like I said before if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing at all.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I HAVE something to say. That looks like a real dodgy bit of kit. Looks unsafe. Far too much lost space and very expensive for the job it's needed for.

AND to come on here plugging your own business is SPAM!

8. LoftBoardingNW

Definition of SPAM

The word "Spam" means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".
    Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.

Please before you type, read, understand, educate yourself before having a go a people businesses when you simply have no idea.

And for your information, the products are tested to British standards, supported by carbon trust and won invention of the year at the Ideal home exhibition in earl's court.
    It gains space, not loses it as it allows you to board over insulation rather than removing it or squashing it which is seen as unprofessional, therefore you cannot have boarding with tall insulation.
    There is very little difference in comparison to wood as its also labour saving to.

For my expert advice I am quite entitled to use my own business as an example, even though the products are not mine!!

9. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi LoftBoardingNW

Welcome to the forum I hope you find the Screwfix Community a helpful resource and a great place to share your knowledge.

A couple of your posts have had links to promote your own business website, which is not relevant to the information on the post. Therefore I have edited these posts.

Regards

Peter