Thorn Emi Housewarmer Back Boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by taff, Apr 27, 2007.

1. taff

taff New Member

My son has a Thorn Emi Housewarmer Epic Back boiler which he has been unable to reignite since turning the boiler off for a six week period of absence. I believe it to be the thermocouple and have managed to obtain a replacement. Does anyone have experience of this boiler and how major a job it is to replace the thermocouple. I have successfully replaced the one on my own freestanding boiler a couple of times in its lifetime.

2. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

As it will be necessary to remove the Gas Fire front to gain access to the backboiler unit, I can only suggest that you engage a CORGI to carry out the whole repair.

While he is there, a full service might be in order. At best, these back boilers are 70% efficient (then when the the 'conical' heat-exchanger 'fins' break down/off that level will drop.

As Thorn no longer manufacter any gas appliances, future spares supplies will be near impossible to source, so you may wish to consider a sysetm update over the coming summer months, to include a condensing boiler with uprated controls to improve comfort levels/do your bit for old environment/minimise gas usage (note, I did NOT sya 'cut your gas bill"!)

If you are in Norwich/Norfolk, I am happy to give a fixed price quote.

Patrick

3. > As Thorn no longer manufacter any gas appliances,
    future spares supplies will be near impossible to
    source, so you may wish to consider a sysetm update
    over the coming summer months, to include a
    condensing boiler with uprated controls to improve
    comfort levels/do your bit for old
    environment/minimise gas usage
    If you are in Norwich/Norfolk, I am happy to give a
    fixed price quote.

yeah I agree...a new programmer and room stat would be lovely...

while your at it, how about some nice new TRV's?...

hey how about some new rads?...

tell you what, why not go the whole hog and have some shiney new pipework installed?

go on - you know ya wanna

4. gulp...just remembered

you only needed a thermocouple replacing

5. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

gulp...just remembered

you only needed a thermocouple replacing

And my point was, BBu's of this vintage are gonna need replacement any time soon, and if he has it repaired professionaly, any installer would suggest that this is the time of year to do it.

Anyway, whats wrong with ponting out the obvious, while trying to drum up a little business, afterall, if you're quiet right now, a few percentage points off the bottom line would sweeten the news.

Not sure this helps.

Patrick