Ticking stud wall?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MrsM--, May 12, 2015.

1. MrsM--

MrsM-- New Member

We had a stud wall put in a year ago to divide a large room into two, and in the last few weeks it's started ticking! Not as much as creaking - sounds more like the wall is settling a bit, but it's very annoying because it's in a bedroom, as much as every second, and it's loud enough to keep us awake.

It did coincide with the warmer weather starting, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whether it's hot or cool outside, and it's constant, happens round the clock.

Any thoughts?! Ideas how we can stop it? Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. MrsM--

MrsM-- New Member

Thanks yes I saw that thread - so it could be that even though we've only one pipe cutting across one bottom corner of the wall and in a completely different place to the noise, the pipe expanding / contracting could make the plasterboard move a tiny bit because it's attached to the pipe with the plaster layer, and that cause it to "tick"?

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like Death Watch Beetle :eek::eek::eek:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

yes.

6. MrsM--

MrsM-- New Member

Haha... You reckon? Maybe I can lure it out with cake!

7. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

You haven't mislaid an alarm clock by any chance or been watching Sky Living at 9 o' clock on Sundays! :);)

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Many things are said in jest, my first thoughts were wood boring insect attack........seriously not joking! :eek:

9. MrsM--

MrsM-- New Member

But how would it get there? If you saw where we live (urban part of London, third floor ex-council block) it seems unlikely. The stud work was all new timber a year ago and there's no other wood in the flat - unless there's an insect that lives and breeds in Travis Perkins and hides in the wood til it's safe to come out?! (you'll tell me now that there is, ugh...). Plus there's only ever one click noise in one place at a time, rather than lots (she says, hopefully) :)

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Maybe a woodpecker. :D

11. MrsM--

MrsM-- New Member

Yup, along with my missing alarm clock and the previously mentioned family of insects... No wonder we can't get any sleep.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sure your not Mrs N, as in Noahs ark ( aka stud wall)

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's not new timber you have as it's been growing for a number of years prior to processing, the larva eat the wood to get out which takes a while, the ticking noise described by yourself sounds typical of a beetle attack, either that or you have a hot water pipe running through the studwork that's too tight fit and expanding causing the ticking noise.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A beetle with a peg leg!

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

16. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Can you contact the person who built the wall for you and see if they recall/have plans of it to see if its is a pipe issue, and if not call pest control?

17. PaulBlackpool

FatHands likes this.
  18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Have you read Peter Pan might be a crocodile!
    I suspect if it does not contain pipes it is just the stud wall expanding slightly as the room heats up, same thing happens on plastic gutters when the sun heats them.

19. PaulBlackpool

Yeah but is constant ,round the clock the OP says

20. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yes guilty as charged I misread the post:eek:

Still might be a Crocodile though:)

Be very surprised if it is an infestation as it is only a year old.

PaulBlackpool likes this.