Tiles over tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by SANDY4805, Jun 15, 2014.

1. SANDY4805

SANDY4805 New Member

I recently discovered that a previous tile job in my bathroom is tiles over tiles, the first job was severely botched and I was told they would be removed and redone, but what appears to have happened is they tiled over the botched tiles, this is causing problems with fitting the shower cubicle and the extractor fan sits in a recess instead of being flush with the surface tiles.

Also two of the walls are stud walls with plasterboard, is this an issue re weight

the tiles are large tiles about 12" x 6" not the small ceramics and I think are 8mm thick.

I am complaining to a large National Company who used sub contractors..

2. SANDY4805

SANDY4805 New Member

the tiles are 600 x 300 x20

3. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

Surely 10mm thick, not 20mm.
    Plasterboard will hold 32kg/sq m if memory serves, so you're probably on the limit there. Either way, if they said the tiles would be removed first but did not do that, then they've bodged it.

4. SANDY4805

SANDY4805 New Member

Thanks, yes they are 10mm, but there's two lots of the same tiles on the wall so its now 20mm or nearly 3/4 inch thick and that's what's caused the problem with the shower cubicle which has to sit flush on the edge of the tray, I have been told it should sit at least 5mm back from the edge, and this has allowed water to leak as you cant properly seal it. Sorry but as you can tell I don't really have a clue about this.

5. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I see. With 20mm worth of tiles on there it's probably over the safe weight limit, its 50/50 though if it will cause you any future problems. To do the job right of course everything needs ripping off and starting again. If you want to bodge things you could try silicone on the inside of the cubicle door, or try & find a similar size door but with more available adjustment.

6. Sandy, if the original tiles were 'bodged' purely in a cosmetic manner (poor cut lines, off the level, etc) but still stuck on securely, then the chances are you'll be fine with the new ones stuck over them - it's not unheard of to so this, and I doubt the extra weight will cause problems in practice.

However, I think I can imagine what you are saying about the extractor - the extra tiles have been cut up to the cover? Yuck. (Couldn't the cover have been removed and refitted after the tiling was done?)

I don't fully understand how the new tiles are causing a potential leak problem with the shower, but if they are, they are.

And you say you were clearly told the old tiles would be removed first? Just how clear did you make your expectations?

This is gonna have to be a fine line, I suspect; is this a new build? Is it a repair job? Is it an insurance claim? Is it just you as a private customer getting a tiler in to do some tiling?

If the latter, then the customer is king; you asked for tiling, they bodged the job, they said they'd remove the mess and re-do, they didn't do this - you have them by the short and curlies. Especially if you have yet to pay...

The other scenarios may be a bit more tricky. However, if you can show that the tiling around the extractor looks pants and you are confident that an impartial observer would agree with this being sub-standard, and if you can show that the double-layer means problems with your shower install, then I'd have thought you'd have a good case.

But you need to be certain of these two things, and be ready to be 'fair but firm'.