Tiling a bathroom floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by vulcanhowlxh558, Mar 31, 2016.

1. vulcanhowlxh558

vulcanhowlxh558 New Member

Im getting conflicts of advice so far on this so im asking on here as im sure someone will know.

We are having our bathroom refurbished and the plan is to take up the laminate floor and replace it with non-slip ceramic tiles.

The floor is boarded (chip board sort of wood) and pretty much level but Ive been told you need a ply on top of that for the tiles to go on. Ive been told a 6mm ply but others have said 15mm minimum, that being a massive difference in thickness.

I believe the board has to be fastened with corrosion resistant screws and I need to use flexible tile adhesive. Do I need some kind of waterproofing or any specific type of board? What would be the recommended thickness? We used Aquapanel on one of the walls, would this be suitable for the job on the floor, its about 8mm thick

My concern is, a 15mm ply, then adhesive, then tiles would make the floor too high for the toilet waste outlet to fit without having to mess about moving it.

2. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

6mm hardie backer board should be the ideal solution.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I expect it'll depend on how flexible the floor is at the moment.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

If floor is stable, with no movement? Then glue and screw 6mm Hardibacker (as mentioned)
    For total overkill, then use a 2 part adhesive for the tiles.

5. top banana

top banana New Member

6mm is fine just make sure you fix it down properly with glue and screw

6. AmyC

AmyC New Member

I'm sorry for a dumb question, but what do you mean by "flexible floor"? I'm trying to redesign my bathroom at the moment too and I'm working on the floor and you just confused me.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Any flexing of the original flooring. The floor needs to be totally flex/movement free.......or your tiles will pop up.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Rather than over board, why not take up the floor which should be an easy job and then replace it with the 19mm Hardie T&G flooring - 2400 long 500 wide. I used it in my wet room and it was so easy to install some screws and some adhesive (Yellow Grip) to lock it all together.

Tile straight on top using an Ardex X7 or X77 adhesive - both are flexible and the latter is "reinforced".