Tiling on brick wall.....

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by d438a1, Feb 29, 2008.

1. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Hi guys. I have a small section of wall to tile around a sink area. The surface is a mixture of breeze blocks and bricks. The surface is not the flatest.

Is it best to use more adhesive in areas where it dips or skim it with plaster?

If the latter option, does the skim coat need to be a certain thicknes?

Thanks

2. Bigtrav

Bigtrav New Member

you can't skim onto brick/blockwork. you have to use a backing plaster which will have to be skimmed as you cant tile onto backing plaster. if you do go that route, depending on how thick the plaster needs to be to bring the wall up to level you will be looking at anything from 2-5 weeks drying time

3. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Why cant you tile on backing plaster?

So is it possible to tile directly on to bricks?

4. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Use some marine ply or dot & dab,-screw some plaster board to even the wall out.

5. happyhero

happyhero Member

can't he use bonding plaster and tile on that or is bonding backing plaster, or could you not coat the plaster with something to make it ok to tile on?

6. Bigtrav

Bigtrav New Member

once more for the cheap seats - you can't tile onto backing plaster
    that includes hardwall, bonding coat, browning or whatever else you find. it reacts badly with the tile adhesive so your tiles will be on the floor within a few weeks.
    yes you can coat bonding - with multifinish
    the only backing plaster suitable for tiles is sand and cement which will take around 6 weeks to dry

7. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Ok, the problem is that due to the window architrave sitting flush with the brickwork is that I cant afford to build up another layer before tiling.

So can I tile straight on to the brick?

Thanks

8. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

NO and if you did they wouldnt stay up long especially if its an external wall. I say no because on brick you would have to dot and dab the tiles to achieve a level surface which allows moisture behind the tiles...bad news and in any case its the right way of doing things unless your name is bodgit, your american or your taking part in a house programme.

If it is an external wall I would tank it then plaster it then tile

.....or (tank it if external) dot and dab plaster board on top

.....or make a stud wall and screw board on to it then tile.

either way you will need to alter your window architrave if you are going to do it properly.

9. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Ok, point taken. Having looked at the architrave, it is not originial architrave (house built 1905) so it should be easy to come off and build out.

The wall is comprised of two leafs of brickwork. However, due to the sink on surface, I still cant afford to build it out too much.

So what is the best advised way, dot and dab 12.5mm plasterboard? How often is it recommended to 'dab'?

Thanks

10. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

mix the drywall adhesive into a thick paste but not to thick cos it sets fast (it also sticks like **** to a blanket).

Evenly dolop the boards...if its an 8x4 board i usually do 4 rows of 4 dolops.....most important thing is to make sure you get it in the corners because if you dont the corners of the board will flex when you push your finger on them.

When youve done that offer it up to the wall and I use a 6ft level and a flat piece of wood.....place the long flat piece of wood on the board and slap the level against it untill the board is well adhered and perfectly level. It is very easy to do and shouldnt cause you many problems.

11. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

p.s. 8x4 boards are very hard to dot and dab by yourself....buy 1 of your mates a pint and get them to give you a hand

12. handcraft

handcraft New Member

and accros the top bottom and sides you should have a continuous dollop of adhesive

lee

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Do what they used to do in the old days - before modern tile adhesives - render the wall and tile onto the render - I tried it once- what a faff!

They must have been really patient and really skilled in days gone by....and the tiles never come off either!

14. Bigtrav

Bigtrav New Member

if you were dotting and dabbing an 8' piece of board you would mark the position on the wall and dab the wall

15. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

what ever floats ya boat

16. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Seems fairly simple, I will have to do it in two sections I think. The wall is about 1.5m wide, and about 2.5m tall. but there is a window half way, and a boiler next to it.

So I will have to do one piece underneath window, and one above, with a small strip in between window and boiler.

Just a couple more questions, is it essential i use 12.5mm plasterboard, or could I get away with 9mm?

Also, What is the minimum depth of adhesive that should be between the plasterboard and wall?

And finally, will the adhesive stick ok to old bits of tile cement?

Thanks for the replies

17. Bigtrav

Bigtrav New Member

12.5 mm will be best, less chance of it bowing but if it means that you'll only have 2-3 mm for the adhesive then use 9mm. your dabs should be a good 25mm thick before being pressed by the board.
    Plasterboard adhesive is very sticky but like any adhesive, it needs a sound surface so whatever you are applying it to needs to be brushed down and any loose material removed. do as jizzard says though and use a straight edge to make sure you are bringing the board in line with the existing surface. miss it by 1 or 2mm and your tiling will look ****. don't forget to prime your plasterboard with acrylic primer before tiling