Tiling on unplastered board.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by moz, Oct 17, 2017.

1. moz

moz Member

I've had a quick look through previous discussions, but couldn't find an answer, so here goes.
    I want to put ceramic tiles (6mm, 250x330mm) onto recently erected 12.5mm Knauf plasterboard.
    Its a bathroom, and the boards were put on to solid brick walls using "dot and dab" technique.
    Because I'd read various conflicting opinions of how to go about it, e.g prime/don't prime etc., I contacted Mapei Technical Services. Their recommendation was to use Mapei Keraflex and not pre-treat with Primer G (or anything else for that matter).
    I live in Merseyside and I'm struggling to find a local supplier of Keraflex (Screwfix don't).
    Screwfix don't do Keraflex, but they do stock Keraquick Flex. But Mapei Tech people say it goes off too quickly (circa 20mins). Implying its too rapid for boards? Or what? Who knows?

What alternatives adhesives would people suggest?

Shower area will be "tanked" with Mapei Aquadefence or similar.

Thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just buy a decent bagged tile adhesive, standard set. Prime boards and tile.

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I would prime the plasterboard with acrylic primer, then tanking, then tiles straight onto tanking with bagged adhesive.
    Appreciate tile backer boards would be far superior, but most house builders round here are just tiling straight onto PB, mind you, I've replaced a few that have been up 4 years or less.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here, one I did a few years ago, had black mould every where behind the plasterboard.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would suggest calling Ardex Tech services for their recommendations. It will be similar to Mapei but with their products which you may find available in your area and both companies produce high quality materials.

01440 714939

7. shedboy1

shedboy1 New Member

Did you use moisture resistant plasterboard (green colour) or is it standard wall board (grey) ?

Any roller applied sealer coat will be required prior to tiling, so don't get too bogged down with brand names.

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member