Tiling Onto Old Plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benben5555, Jul 25, 2013.

1. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Hi,

I've pulled the old tiles off the walls in my kitchen and bathroom and the surface underneath is interesting!

The plaster is generally sound except for the fact that maybe 50% of the skim coat came off. So I've scraped off the rest of the skim coat and am left with the main plaster bonding (?) coat. My question is can I just tiles straight onto this or do I need to prime it with anything? I understand PVA is not the right way to go, but do I actually need to do anything?

I've got 600x300mm porcelain tiles and bags of powdered adhesive.

Cheers

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

you will be fine to put the tiles straigth onto the bonding plaster. just make sure its free from any loose plaster or dust.

3. benben5555

benben5555 Member

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

no problem:)

5. Niki

Niki New Member

With really dry flakey old plaster I have used waterproof PVA to great effect to toughen up the surface of the plaster. Been doing it for years and never had a problem yet.

6. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Oh dear ..........

I can see another 10 page PVA debate about to kick off .......

Bring it on ......................................................................................................................

7. J.P.

J.P. New Member

SBR might be a better choice tbqh