Tiling onto tanking solution

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jack Johnson, May 15, 2014.

1. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson New Member

Hi,
    I recently plaster boarded my bathroom in standard board, I know I should have used aquapanel but didn't so have coated the board in tanking solution. Now I am about to tile the walls but was wondering:
    should I do anything else to make sure my tiles will fix well to the walls?
    The tanking solution is dry, but it looks very smooth and I am worried the tiles won't adhere well.
    I intend to begin tiling tomorrow so any prompt support would be very welcome.
    Cheers in advance.

2. Hi Jack (snigger...)

Don't worry about lack of adhesion due to the surface being smooth - tile adhesive will adhere to almost anything, including the polished glazed surface of previous tiles.

I presume, tho', that the 'tanking' product you used will have stated on it 'suitable for over-tiling' or similar, as obviously neither I nor anyone else can make a proper comment unless we know what tanking product you used.

I read on your other thread you were planning to use a 3-in-1 adhesive/grout product? I cannot comment on them all, but it is usually best to use the best separate product for each task. And I would certainly recommend 'cement-based' grouts (ie: come in powder form and you mix with water) and possibly cement-based adhesives too.

(The 'ready-mixed' stuff sets by drying, and will shrink a significant amount as it does so. You run the risk of having small air pockets in the grout lines from this. And, you'll likely have to go over the whole tiled surface a further time to fill in the shrinkages. Hellish.)

What tanking did you use? Complete kits aren't that expensive - http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

You really, really don't want a leaking wet area - by their nature, they tend to 'seep' slowly over time, and when you finally notice loose, bulging tiles, the mess underneath will be awful. Or, worse, you don;t see any evidence, but it's all goin on to the floor underneath...

3. tic.tic

tic.tic New Member

Alright DA.....;)