Tiling over multi finish

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by jj1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. jj1

jj1 New Member

Hello folks,
    Think I've just dropped a clanger - be gentle with me. Just had a small bathroom re plastered - sand and cement on 3 walls and 1 plasterboarded partition wall. All skimmed with multi finish.
    Just found out that we can't now use large porcelain tiles(600x300) on the walls cos of the weight restrictions on plaster finish! Unfortunately, we bought the tiles before we knew this (don't shout at me).
    I bought tilemaster setaflex and bonding agent. What's the chances of the tiles falling off if I went ahead and Used them? Or is that just daft? (The tiles are 22kg per sq m) Or do I try to get a refund on the tiles? Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Should be ok. At least its new plaster so if it's been applied correctly, then it's unlikely to delaminate. Make sure it's dried out well, couple of coats of primer then off you go. You'll need flexible tile adhesive (bagged) for porcelain. That's my opinion anyway! :)

3. jj1

jj1 New Member

Many thanks CGN, much appreciated.

CGN likes this.
  4. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Generally, it is accepted that 20kg/m2 (including adhesive and grout) is about the safe limit for tiling on gypsum:
    https://www.tiles.org.uk/services/frequently-asked-questions/#16

Allowing for adhesive and grout, your tiles would probably end up around 25-26kg/m2.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk a wall or two of expensive tiles collapsing and leaving me considerably out of pocket (not to mention any possible damage to bathroom furniture); instead I would use a backer board like Multipro / Hardibacker / etc. screwed to the wall and then tile to that.

jj1 likes this.
  5. jj1

jj1 New Member

Many thanks for the advice. It's only very small, so I think I'll go for the backer board. Should I use tile adhesive to stick it to the wall as well as the screws? Cheers.

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Apologies...I should have double checked weight for skim. I had 26kg 'in my mind' when replying! :oops:

7. jj1

jj1 New Member

No problem at all, grateful that you took the time to reply! Thanks again.

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I think it depends on which one you go for. I tend to use Multipro - 6mm on masonry walls screwed and plugged at 300 centres, and 12mm on stud walls screwed at 300 centres into the studs. No need for adhesive behind the board.

9. jj1

jj1 New Member

Thanks again, rob - really helpful advice - much needed and appreciated.

10. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

No problem. If you're putting Multipro up yourself, a bead of CT1 on the back is handy to keep it in place while you drill, plug and screw (I tend to use 6mm plugs with 5mm screws then tap through the board into wall and secure).

I tend to estimate tiling jobs now with a proviso that it's for standard wall tiles, after a few customers have decided on 600x600 floor tiles or similar to go on the walls at the last minute!