Timber frame extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Beremy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Beremy

Beremy New Member

How difficult is it to do yourself and what should you know in terms of materials to use and actual build?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You should know what you are doing and you obviously don't.

thelockman likes this.
  3. Beremy

Beremy New Member

That's the whole point of asking on a forum. To get a handle on it on what it involves. I take it you don't know either then?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Easy & Wood

5. Beremy

Beremy New Member

U built one?

6. I think it's just too big a Q, Beremy.

What specific info are you after? If it's everything, then you should really do some research first to get an overview, and then come on here for specifics.

I once came on here saying I wanted to build a house and could peeps tell me everything I needed to know... :rolleyes:

Beremy likes this.
  7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

So with all the information you got, you built a ........doll's house!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Beremy

Beremy New Member

Thank you Devil's Advocate - see what you mean. I have been trying to do research but not getting anywhere as probably searching too generally on the net. Do you know of good sites where I could start looking for an overview, then I could break it down easier to ask specific questions.

9. Sorry, I don't have the info you require, Beremy, nor know which sites to peruse - I'm a DIYer of glorified doll's houses... :oops:.

Hopefully others on here can direct you better.

Beremy likes this.
  10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Google terms like;

timber framed house construction detail

and then click on images, and that will give you the basic construction and then ask questions from there.

As chippe244 says, you should know something and as da says, its a rather big Q

It is not a difficult process if you have basic knowledge

11. Beremy

Beremy New Member

Thanks Wiggy will do. Sorry, no idea what Chipp244 was on about - didn't seem at all logical but probably did to him.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Something simple is difficult if you don't know how to to it.
    You obviously don't have a clue so it is going to be difficult.
    You were pretending you were getting a builder in but weren't.
    Building is done to certain standards and regulations, you need to know these before you even get into having the skills and tools to perform the tasks necessary to build your extension.
    In short I think you are in totally over your head.