Timber Framing a Barn

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by jimdad07, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Here's a project I've been working on that you folks might enjoy:

KIAB likes this.
  2. 10 x 16 timbers :eek:

That's awesome, man.

Astonished these can be cut so accurately - and they do fit together afterwards :)

(Jimdad? Shouldn't that be JimBob? :))

jimdad07 and KIAB like this.
  3. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Superb

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Impressive,just superb, DA it's easy to cut them accurately, only need to look at the Japanese wood working on their timber buildings.

And japanese joints are a work of art.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  5. I mean from the point of view of doing cutting them from measurements and provided angles - and not being able to test them until they are all done and hoisted up!

Easy to do when you have the parts in front of you and you can test-fit, taking an extra wee shaving offski if needed... :rolleyes:

Hey, man, I was a tecky teacher - I've done more dovetails and sh* that you've had hot, er, porridge.

jimdad07 and Joe95 like this.
  6. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Thank you gentlemen. It is the most rewarding type of building I've ever done. Nice taking a log and turning it into a piece of the puzzle.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Well, there is no puzzling confusion as to where the logs i produce come from! :confused:

8. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Here's the next installment, I think it's kind of long. Please let me know so I can make adjustments.

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  9. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

This username has been with me since the first forum I joined in 2009. I became a father in 2007 (up to three of the little tax deductions now) and for the life of me couldn't think of anything else.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

11. Quite hypnotic :)

(Anyhoo, it's easy to FF if needed... :rolleyes:)

jimdad07 likes this.
  12. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

I like your humor....where all are you guys from anyway? I was searching carpentry forums and this is one of them that came up. I enjoy hitting different forums once in awhile just to meet new people.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Couple if years ago, I worked on this :
    upload_2017-1-19_13-45-11.png

The size of the timber isn't normally an in issue, working "in the round" is so different to working with posts. The larch boards on the roof were a minimum of 50mm thick and over 5m absolutely beautiful stuff to work with. The camera doesn't show it, but all the boards run parallel to to the outer ring and have a compound mitre on the top of each roof pole.

jimdad07 likes this.
  14. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Here's some more. Never thought I'd be a YouTube extrovert....

KIAB likes this.
  15. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Over here they have just started showing Timber Kings, the show about the Canadian Log home company. Their builds are quite impressive and also some of the log carving and features that get put into the houses.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

On Discovery?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

jimdad07 likes this.
  19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Used one a year ago, so quick and easy almost cheating - shame they only do "big" mortises.

Festool makes a crazy "sword saw" doesn't do mortises but runs on their guide rails - really is a big boys toy

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Used one to cut mortices in some replacement oak roof beams, scared the hell out of me first time I used it.:D