time to grout my en-suite

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by alan whitaker, Sep 1, 2017.

1. alan whitaker

alan whitaker New Member

Hi, I'm new to this so please help. I have tiled my en-suite bathroom and am ready to grout. Do i

a) Do one wall at a time only
    b) Do the whole lot together (in which case I will need to re-mix presumably)
    c) Do one 'area' at a time (say 1m square)

I have no idea. I assume the main thing is to stop the grout from setting on a tile, so to me 'c) makes the most sense.

Thanks Alan

2. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

What's the size of the ensuite... normally they're not so big, doing the whole thing in one go isn't an issue, don't let the grout set before washing off with a wet sponge.
    When wiping the excess grout off always keep the sponge wet and we'll rinsed out. Once you've cleaned all the grout off the residue from the grout will leave a light coating of grout dust on all the tiles, you can get this off with a dry clean cloth. It gets dusty so open the window in the ensuite (if there is one)

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's all about timing and getting a feel for the grout. Different grouts will have different working / setting times, also affected by depth of grout,ambient temp, consistency of mix and speed you work at

Mix a smallish batch and see how you get on and base next mix on these timings

Apply grout with a rubber grout float and really force into gaps so full depth is filled. Clean off excess grout with float in a diagonal pattern - just seems to glide over grout without removing it from the gaps better than going horizontal and vertical

You've just got to gauge the setting time before the next clean. Too soon and you remove grout, too long and it's a bugger to remove from tiles

As above, frequently wringed out sponge, change buckets of water several times and again, clean with the sponge diagonally

Keep a small amount of grout wrapped in a ball in cling film in case you need to top up a small section whilst cleaning - it will stay usable for ages that way, just in case you need a small amount

When cleaned and grout dried, tiles will be dusty following day. Clean dry cloth at this stage is all you need

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Have a grout sponge with a set of rounded corners on one large face and square corners on the other.

5. alan whitaker

alan whitaker New Member

Thanks guys. I have another question. I want to silicon the shower corner area where the two wall meet. How do I prevent the grout from getting in the gaps where the silicon should go.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The vertical join down the corner ?

Grout as usual
    Once dried and all dust polished off, silicon over grout. Would suggest using a profile tool for finishing the silicon, not spit and a finger :eek:

Use these myself, I'm diy but superb results with some practice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELCH-Fuge...d=141553352998&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850