Timed switch for electric underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gman34, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Gman34

Gman34 Member

Hi my client is asking me to provide him with a basic timer switch he can press for his bathroom heat matt instead of a thermostat . he just wants one that you press on for example and it lets the matt run for 15minutes .
    As he finds the other programmers too much

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

3. Allybally

Allybally Member

Pretty much a pointless idea, I come across this alot with customers, underfloor heating is not something you can just switch in and off, I've worked on bathrooms and kitchens that can take a couple of hours to start producing heat

Heating programmer's are the best ting for the job, just try to explain the concept to the customer

Ally

FatHands likes this.
  4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

My mothers underfloor heating is now switched off it was a total failure. Main reason is it takes so long to warm up. Fitted in a wet room switched on and nice and toasty the shower is used which cools it down and it take 20 minutes to rewarm up before starting to dry the floor.

But there is also a second problem with underfloor heating there are two thermostats one in the tiles and one measuring room temperature they are combined together but the idea is the sensor in the tiles limits to tile heat to safe limits. As a DIY job removing the tile heat sensor may work but as a professional to remove a safety system is a clear no. So any timer has to be as well not instead of the tile temperature sensor.

Although the tiles are not of a material which will be damaged by heat below the heating mat there is often insulating material often wood which would be damaged by over heating. It's not just burnt feet which is the problem although clearly that is the main problem.

5. Gman34

Gman34 Member

lol thats what i thought. Its designed to be on constantly they don't seem to grasp this . i will tell them and if they still insist they can have a stat and a timer .