To pile or not to pile...

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by James Grocott, Aug 1, 2014.

1. James Grocott

James Grocott New Member

Hi

We are looking to have a fairly small summer room on the back of our house built (about 3.4m x 3.4m internal), however after having the foundations dug it has been discovered by building regs that our house is on piled foundations. I have spoken to the original structural engineer who has confirmed this. He said that if the summer room is brick up to the cill then it will need piling too. I have a few questions... Is there an alternative to 'brick up to cill level' that wouldn't require piled foundations? Is there a cheaper alternative to piled foundations? They are quoting me about 6-8k for four piles. This all seems very expensive for a small room which in itself is only costing £13k.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well, I would have said put some concrete down(slab or trench), lighter blocks/render up to the sill.
    But you'd have to run that past someone who knows. You ain't buildin' a house after all!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really