To replce old Swift Flow 80e or no.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Hello.

In-laws have a 10-year old GlowWorm Swift Flow (yeah, right...) 80e combi.

It's been stupidly reliable, but has chust started the fan whine. It tripped out this morn and I had to go and reset it. I know bearing wear is common, and you can get new fans for £200 or recon ones - with new bearings - for £50-odd.

1 hour's fitting? So either ~£300 or ~£100 to fix.

Q - is it worth her having this done, or getting a new condensing boiler?

(I'll make sure the guy is GasSafe... :rolleyes: )

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

No need DA. You can quite legally do it yourself (just as long as they don't pay you););););)

Walt Systems likes this.
  3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I doubt very much its 10 year old, more like 20 years old, they were probably the worst of glowworms boilers and imho not worth throwing money at,
    depending on the circumstances of your outlaws have a look at 'LINK' they can get a brand new boiler for £575 deposit then 10 years monthly payment of £17 per month but wait for it, all the time they are paying the £17 per month, the boiler is warranteed, so you can look at that £17 as a maintainance contract,
    gotta be worth checking out before you go chucking cash down the grid,
    http://www.help-link.co.uk/boilers/

4. Yep, I could.

But I won't... :)

5. joinerjohn1

You'll upset Walter if ya don't install it. :p:p:p:p:p:p

6. Thanks Tom.

Yep, it's probably around 12-13 years old - it was fitted in their new build then.

Have to say, it's been no trouble at all. The only wee thing that went wrong was when they topped it up - and didn't shut off the valve fully. The SRV - of course - kept trickling...

But, that's it. Serviced every 3-odd years. It's cost them next to nothing. And this looks like an easy fix too.

Thanks for that link to LINK. They'd pay it in a oner, tho', so I'm wondering do they really need to fork out approaching £2k right now?

7. Tee-hee.

'Fess up tho', JJ - you do know, don't you, that an orn'ary cove can quite legally do gas work such as fitting a boiler in his own home provided it's been done according to the full installation requirements? I bet you do know this. You do, don't you?

8. joinerjohn1

All comes down to that one word,, "Competent". As I've shown in the other thread, someone could be "lucky". This doesn't mean they're anything near "competent" I dare say I could follow MI's (often do on kitchen installations), but with gas, I get a professional in. ;);)

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not many DIY'ers own a Flue Gas Analiser essetntial part of the commissioning process

10. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Time for a new one DA.

11. With respect, JJ, you haven't shown the definition of competent on that other thread. What you have done it selectively picked a definition, out of context, that you believe suits your argument.

We can nip this in t'bud right now; are you saying that an orn'ary cove can not quite legally do gas work such as fitting a boiler in his own home if it's been done according to the full installation requirements? Ie, to a competent standard.

Simple yes or no - is it legal for a 'non-registered', cove to do this or not?

I say it is. What do you say?

12. Thanks P'boy. Y'reckon the rest of the boiler is on its way out too, so pretty pointless having this cheap and simple repair...?

13. joinerjohn1

All I can say DA is "Be Lucky." ;);)

14. How about sayin' 'yes' or 'no'? :p

15. plumberboy

I wouldn't throw money at it personally DA but that's just my opinion, but if your in-laws are happy to spend some money on it if its been trouble free up to now give it a go.;)

16. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the fact that you can buy them over the counter at any plumbers merchants,B+Q,wickes,s/fix ( yes I know they have a policy with a GS sticker) but they will still sell ya one, goes a long way to answering the question,

if you can buy them in a diy shop, its a diy job, ;)

17. Tee-hee :).

Thanks all - I'll leave the decision up to themselves. (Sod's law would dictate that if I said "Repair it", it would break down big time a week later... :rolleyes: )

18. plumberboy

Yep!! Good old sod's law,you just can't win sometimes DA.:(

19. Boiler is now tripping out repeatedly and needs resetting... :rolleyes:

Is this likely to be connected with the worn fan bearings or yet another fault?!

Nan doesn't want a new boiler for the time being as I pointed out that almost certainly the tiles on the boxed-in pipework will need removing... :( On the kitchen she had tarted up (new tops, sink, hob, etc only a few months back.)

So, she's calling the cove who last serviced the boiler to ask if he'd willing to source and fit a reconditioned fan, or would only entertain fitting a new one.

Do GlowWorm still do 'fixed price' repairs, anyone know? (Chust about to check, but in case anyone knows of a good alternative to this?)

Ta muchly.

20. Cool - Vaillant do fixed price at £199. Nan going for this - they'll only fit new parts, won't they? So that's cheaper than chust the fan on its own.