Toilet cistern overflowing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Neil Cogswell, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Neil Cogswell

Neil Cogswell New Member

HI wonder if you can help.

My downstairs toilet is basically overflowing and water is going outside via overflow pipe.

I have looked inside the toilet and adjuster the ball cock but this doesn't make any difference it still overflows. The ballcock actually sits lower than the water line whereas it should sit on top and shut off the water (I assume).

Anyone have any ideas on the problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Presumably this has happened after a period of working without overflowing.

If the floating ball is submerged, then it may be punctured. East to check - unscrew it and shake it while listening for water sloshing about inside!
    Replacements are common and cheap:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wc-float-ball-with-brass-inlet-4/76297

I've not yet come across a leaky ball though but it must happen as you can buy a spare one!

More likely is the valve itself is not properly sealing internally. Although you can get replacement parts for these valves, I always replace the whole thing with new - again they are readily available and quite inexpensive and a simple DIY job, e.g.:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-prestex-float-valve-part-1/90110

diymostthings

3. Neil Cogswell

Neil Cogswell New Member

Thanks, I have removed the ball as I thought maybe it was getting water logged but it isn't,does that mean its definitely the valve? thanks again

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

99.9% its the ball valve. Just whip it out and put in a new one, oh and turn the water off first :)

5. Hi Niel

Its mostly the diaphragm that has gone. Provided you are ok to do DIY to a basic/reasonable level its cheaper to change the diaphragm than the whole fill valve, herm depending on what fill valve you have that is

But my guess, as it has a float is that you will have a standard rubber seal to replace like this
    [​IMG]

They cost 50p each

As Dave above says, before you remove it turn the water off to the toilet first!!

Maybe you could take a picture of the valve and post it here so we can have a look?

Russ

6. Neil Cogswell

Neil Cogswell New Member

Bugger I've just ordered a new fill valve... Oh well will replace that first and see if that fixes it, will sort a picture as well if that doesnt fix it.
    Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it :)

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If the ball is submerged but not full of water, something is jamming the bar stopping it from coming up.
    Leaky diaphragm shouldn't do that.
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Supra

Supra Member

The float can be at it's highest point where it always goes too when everything is working, it physically cannot go any higher but a leaky diaphragm causes the water to slowly rise submerging the float with a higher than normal water level so it reaches the point where it over flows.

Sometimes the diaphragm is just a rubber washer, in the past I've just taken it out and turned it around and given the whole assembly a flush out and clean.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The ball would have had to be set really low to be submerged when overflowing!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Supra

Supra Member

It doesn't look like it was submerged just lower in the water than normal.

11. wally

wally Screwfix Select

The arm can sometimes get jammed, try moving it up & down a few times & see if it makes any difference.

12. Neil Cogswell

Neil Cogswell New Member

Definitely isn't stuck its just continually filling I think, I have ordered a new fill valve so hopefully this will sort it :)

13. Neil Cogswell

Neil Cogswell New Member

OH and it was completely submerged despite me adjusting it.