Toilet light switch - pull cord or wallplate?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Philde, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Philde

Philde Member

My downstairs toilet currently has a pull cord light switch. The room is approx 2m square and contains only toilet and a sink/unit. The sink unit is approx 1.5m from the switch. Does it have to be a pull cord switch or could I chase down and fit an ordinary switch?

Any advise welcome.

Thanks

Phil...

2. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

You only have to have a pull cord in a bathroom.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

If I had a pound for every time some smart **** joiner or plumber has told me I cant put a switch in a downstairs toilet I would have about £20.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  4. Philde

Philde Member

Thanks for replies. I assumed that to be the case as unlikely to be any activity to cause steaming or excessive splashing, (oops, nearly left the 'p' out) but wanted to be sure.

Phil...

5. nffc

nffc Active Member

You can also have a wall switch in a room containing a bath or shower. The regs allow for this is some circumstances. All electrical equipment must be installed taking into consideration the suitability of the surrounding environment. Yes it may only have a toilet and sink but if the only place for the switch was right next to the basin it may not be appropriate.

6. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i say keep the pull cord as you have the basin so wet hands can happen also a wall switch would be to close to the basin so i think the regs are against you

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How about a sensor instead.

An occupancy sensor?

8. peter palmer

No regs for a switch next to a basin and I have come up with an ingenious idea to dry my hands, I'm going to call it a towel.

Although I dont really see a problem with touching a switch with wet hands in the first place. In fact I'll try it next time I need a ****.

9. nffc

nffc Active Member

placing any electrical equipment in a place that it could be exposed to water and does not have the correct IP rating is against regs.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  10. peter palmer

Why would it be exposed to water, Its a sink not a fountain.

seneca likes this.
  11. nffc

nffc Active Member

You only need to go into my toilet after the children to understand that. :eek:

teabreak likes this.
  12. peter palmer

As I suspected, **** all.

13. tina lucinda lane

you try that tell us how much ur coffin cost when ur done cus thats what your asking for.

14. tina lucinda lane

thank you for the back up on that i thought i was right

15. peter palmer

The difference in a bathroom to a toilet is obvious, copious amounts of steam is generated in a bathroom, this soaks everything in water, added to the fact you are wet and naked its a good idea to keep anything electrical well out of the way. Water is not a good conductor of electric, however if you add all of the above scenarios together then I can see the point of not having switches near the bath or shower.

Whats the difference in having a switch near a basin in a toilet and having a socket near a sink in a kitchen, you might switch the kettle on after washing a cup, doesn't mean to say its dangerous.

Just for the avoidance of doubt I'm not suggesting putting the switch inside the basin but if its somewhere near at the normal height you would expect to find a switch then I don't see any issue with it. Incidentally what difference does it make if its outside, if you cant be bothered drying your hands does the movement of air walking outside evaporate the required amount of water needed to make touching a switch safe?

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It makes me laugh, all this "because there's a basin there", what about a kitchen then? There's a bloody sink in there but no one suggests a pull cord switch is needed there!

madhatter1uk and Brian_L like this.
  17. tina lucinda lane

regs are regs good luk selling your house with out an upto date cert on the electrics (as any decent spark wont sign off on reg breaking work) not getting high horse here just pointing out the ovious

18. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

What regulation says you can't have a wall mounted light switch in a toilet?

19. To comply fully with the regs, I would keep the pull cord switch or fit an ordinary switch outside the toilet.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  20. peter palmer

This is better than East Enders for drama. Forget the subsidence or dry rot, the deals off because the switch is inside the cloakroom.

Have you ever been on a big job Alex?

Brian_L likes this.