Toilet Replacement

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Joe95, Dec 22, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I like the Kudox range too.

Joe95 likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Kudox radiators are superb, can't fault them,used them for years without a problem.

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Just finished off undercoating the woodwork. Door and architrave, and primed the hot pipe.

Going to change the drainage pipework later today, to prevent any possibility of waste coming back up in the basin.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Busy morning then!

Joe95 likes this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

All being put on hold for a few days, apart from glossing.
    I has a 'eureka' moment where i realized how i could have easily connected to existing stack through the cellar.....
    Really annoyed with myself now...
    ****!
    Feeling a little stupid:oops::oops:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You would be a fool NOT to, if the oppertunity to do so is there, might be double work now, but I prefer that to a blocked macerator any day, or even having a macerator...:rolleyes:

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Exactly. Do it now.

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

To explain:

IMG_7302.JPG

Where the insulated pipework runs from the toilet rad, the back of the toilet sits.

I'll be channeling up the driveway to install the new MDPE water mains pipe, and the front garden chamber is about a foot to the side of where the pipe will run. So, i could just lay a soil pipe along the channel i dig, bring it into the cellar, and connect the toilet and basin into it. If i need to vent it by regs I'll install a stub stack behind the boxing in.

Then there is no need for the Saniflo, and I'll have the toilet fitted properly.
    It does not any part of the side of the house, so it will not interfere with the extension.

Wow, this seemed so obvious...
    If it wasn't for Thames water i wouldn't be digging up the drive, so this makes things much better.:)

I'll carry on painting tomorrow, and then I'll put this project on hold till the driveway comes up.

Still worth the work over a blocked macerator!:)

Deleted member 33931, KIAB and koolpc like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Upon further investigation, i have found an easier method.

The existing soil stack runs down the side of the house, but if i drop the pipework into the cellar i can still have about a 100mm fall from one end to the other (2.2m), and then connect to the pipe into the stack. I only have to chisel out a few inches from around the foot of the stack to attach a branch, so its much easier than running a new pipe in. The inside floor is about 400mm higher than the driveway.
    Also would rather get on with the project than wait around for BC to come along too...

So without too much work, i can lose the macerator and not have to mess about with the front chamber.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Can be a right hassle knocking through in a brick chamber to put in a new pipe.:oops:

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Bit like so:
    IMG_7335.JPG

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need surprisingly little fall for a soil pipe Joe, think its about 20mm per metre off the top of my head...don't quote me on that though :)

Joe95 likes this.
  14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes, It's probably one of the most awkward places to core through.

I rang one of the fellas from my council's BC, and he told me they need:
    - a lintel in the wall the pipe leaves and a minimum clearance around the pipe of 600mm
    - minimum depth of 1m, which is lower than my cellar
    - If the basin is connected i need an air admittance valve in the toilet

So..........I'm not doing all that for the sake of a downstairs toilet........

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Minimum required under Building Regs is 18mm/metre, 25mm is my prefered figure.

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Going to do the exact measurements tomorrow, as long as i have some fall to the pipe i would rather put the soil branch above the ground.

One important thing is to get enough fall from the horizontal bend to the branch socket, to prevent the upstairs waste going back up this pipe.

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I think the branch will sit just above the ground. As long as the pipe is not entirely buried, i think it could still be classed as 'above ground' drainage. Burying the branch would make it 'underground drainage' so i will avoid this at all costs, even if it means scribing an inspection chamber lid to sit around the soil stack.

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not how I wanted to do it, but would have been a complete pain to dig up a shared access. Just enough fall and never had a problem with it.
    Looks great from my house ;)

Attached Files:

Joe95 likes this.
  19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Emphasis on the 'looks great from my house'

Thing is, i could have run the soil stack out the wall into the garage, then it would go straight into the stack,(stack runs next to garage door) no issues with fall and could have done away with the macerator. Problem is i don't want a 4" pipe poking though what will be a D&D insulated PB wall.

Ooooooh did i just admit to using D&D:oops::oops:.....:p

KIAB and CGN like this.
  20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not clipped tight to the wall in that pic. Still had to dig up the back yard to tap into the sewer. The owner didn't care, as long as it worked and as the neighbour had a severe personality bypass, was the best option! :D

Joe95 likes this.