tools stolen

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Plumberbish, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

most of my power tools got nicked from my van the other day, just a word of warning to everyone, these guys were pretty professional, the cctv shows them using a transmitter thingy to act like my key fob, took them about 1min to unlock all the doors, and 6mins in total to clean me out...i feel like a mug for not locking my security bolts, but i was only 3-4 meters away! so if anyone hears of anyone selling on a brand new makita sds drill, a makita multicutter, a makita hand drill, a damond core bit set, a makita radio, an old einhell sds drill , all my makita 18v batteries and my anton sprint v2 analyser please kick the **** out of them and take my tools back and let me know please

2. Plumberbish

*note* most of my tools had bishop or MB written on them or some green spray paint...

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

After recovering a lot of stolen tools earlier this year it is essential to give the police something to go on, I had just written my company name on with a marker pen and as I have a very cheap website with my phone number on it I recovered most of my tools.

Plumberbish likes this.
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

basatrds - i never buy second hand tools because they may have been stolen. it happens to us all - put your rates up a little to cover some of the cost.

Daniel-Lincs and Plumberbish like this.
  5. Sorry to hear, 'Dish :(

6. Plumberbish

im awaiting the police to view the cctv...i doubt theyll catch the guys...its just frustrating! some pr**k decides he doesnt want to work for a living and instead thinks *oh i know ill go and take things that other people have worked their butts off to get! i swear if i find them before the police do theyll be sorry!

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

So sorry to read this bish :(. Will the insurance cover most of it?

8. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Really sorry to read this.
    Keep looking on fleabay / gumtree etc and you may get lucky.
    Thing is, they will sell off a £200 tool for £10 just to get a drug fix.......
    :(

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Feel really sorry for you Bish.:(
    Which part of the country are you.

I have all my tools marked & serial numbers recorded.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

This is where a van vault toolbox comes in handy.

But be sure its a model that uses a skeleton key that's inserted through plate steel where it engages with a mortise lock.
    The opening lever protrudes from a slot and is made deliberately weak. So if forced whilst "locked" it just bends.

I've seen this concept on metal containers on building sites. What the builders do is cut the normal container doors OFF (because the design is cr@p) and fit two heavy plate steel doors which could be 10mm thick. The plate doors are inset on the frame so its impossible to lever them.
    All hinges are concealed and no locks exposed. The hinges can be made from 50mm bar which is welded on the inside of the plate. Again very difficult to saw through.

Not many thieves can break through those as it involves a LOT of cutting. In fact it would be easier to just cut the side out off the container.
    But that can be difficult because clever builders stack them close against walls, side by side and on top of each other or stack them with building materials making entry via sides or top very difficult.
    And of course Sawing makes a LOT of noise. Which thieves don't like.

The same concept can be used on van vault tools boxes on the opening lid. Though I'm not sure many are.
    Mebbe time to go to the drawing board and design and build one.:D

I built a large lorry toolbox once and made a flaw on the heavy lid.
    It fell on my fingers once and nearly broke them. A guy we had working suffered the same fate.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A case for in vehicle cctv, a covert camera in rear of van, which can record to your smart phone & a vehicle recorder hidden away.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A lot of thieves are care free about cctv. Just pull on a balaclava.
    As for alerting you, what are you going to do when you confront them?

If they don't know where you live then good stuff. Take them on if you think you can.
    If they know where you live then be very careful.

13. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

So sad to hear this :( bloody parasites.

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

It's not only vans Miss P. Make sure your shed is secure & possibly alarmed. Not trying to scare you, but better safe than sorry. :(

15. miss pickle

I would be so upset if my new jigsaw and sprayer got nicked :( imagine a whole van being robbed :eek: I don't get how anyone could do that to someone :(

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yep sheds are a favourite haunt for thieving scallywags, my mums was broken into just 2 weeks ago, nothing taken because its full of carp.:p:p, her neighbor had his mountain bike taken, but luckily it was found in a pile of stuff hidden in a hedge awaiting collection, the police also caught two little bar stewards red handed. :):)

Plumberbish likes this.
  17. miss pickle

Nice to hear that they do actually catch them sometimes :)

18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

They may be caught by the Police but the courts won't give them any meaningful punishment, probably be given community service where they can scout out fresh targets

19. Plumberbish

Cheers for all the replies, yeah I'm thinking of getting a van vault, and like you say mod it for extra security. I looked through my insurance n it says in big bold letters your tools are not covered! I don't hold out a lot of hope with the police, they still haven't been to look at the cctv in the car park, but I've seen it n you can't see the number plate or the people's faces...just 3white guys in a dark car...

20. Plumberbish

I've started recording all my serial numbers for my new tools now as well...I'm gunna engrave my name into them somewhere as well