Top Oven/Grill - Baumatic B720SS A - trips consumer board

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Meerkatmtd, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

I have for a while had my mothers replaced kitchen, and thus her old double oven a Baumatic B720-SS-A the bottom oven was the one she used all the time, i have a fault on the top oven when put onto grill setting, after around 5-10mins the said oven trips out all the power.

I did when first got it have it work on oven only and power stayed on at that time, thought might be damp that had caused that, since then has been in use for the bottom oven faultlessly, but still have the grill not usable has anyone got an idea what the fault might be or what to check or get someone in to do so.

I am a competent DIY'er but cookers not my thing til now.

thanks in advance to anyone whom has an idea or had the same experience

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What is tripping, MCB (current overload, just this circuit) or RCD (earth leakage and number of circuits)? And assuming its the MCB what rating is it?

3. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

Hi - the oven blows everything trips out the whole of the house power.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That sounds like the RCD then, it will trip when the current in the live and neutral differ by more than 30mAmp. If its just the grill when this happens, rather than the top oven being used as an oven, probably something to do with the rotary selector switch. Hopefully someone else will be along to give you some additional pointers, that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Meerkatmtd likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It is more likely to be the grill element itself.

Easy way to check, is to disconnect the connections to the element and insulate the conductors.
    Then switch on, if the RCD does not trip then its the element. If it still trips then it is something else in the cooker's wiring.

Meerkatmtd and Dr Bodgit like this.
  6. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

Okay will investigate that tomorrow when get off shift, pull it out and isolate it of course and see what happens then :)

7. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

The switches won't have been used for years, so have turned them around fast left and right see if that helps too :)

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Moisture can penetrate the element If the cooker has not been used for some time.

I guess the grill starts to heat up before it trips? If so then keep heating it up. After a few hoes the damp may get driven out and all may be ok.

Of course, the element could be just faulty and your mothers cooker circuit may not have been RCD protected, so the problem would not have shown up.

9. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

Ahh yes okay will turn it on for few mins ever increasing then and see what that does with it - worth a shot :)

10. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Watch the grill element as it heats up.
    You may notice a spot where it glows much brighter than anywhere else.

Meerkatmtd likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Beg to differ Bazza. If it doesn't trip with wires disconnected, may be just because there is no circuit through the switch/thermostat.

Best way to test is to swap wires onto working element.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

So are you saying to swop the feed wires to the element, intend to pull the oven out from its housing tmoz and get the cover off it and have a butchers inside and see if there is something obvious wrong? Or even damp, could the element be disconnected and put in an oven on warm and maybe dry it out !!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would have thought unlikely to be damp. It's indoors, other parts of the oven have been providing heat, not really a good reason to get damp.
    I suspect it's breaking down inside and gradually feeding to earth.

Yes, if the wires are long enough, make safe the top element wires, use the bottom element wires and its switch to control the top element. If it still trips - bad top element.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Meerkatmtd likes this.
  14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Many heating elements use magnesium oxide as an insulator, same as MICC.
    Magnesium Oxide is hygroscopic.
    Often the ends of elements are poorly sealed, which allows moisture to enter the element.
    Very common for cookers (even brand new) to trip RCDs after a period of disuse.

Meerkatmtd likes this.