Towel rail valve position

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rookie101, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Rookie101

Rookie101 New Member

hi guys,

Fitting a towel rail to normal pressurised central heating

Re-using existing valves from the radiator being removed but have question

Due to the pipe runs and the size of the new rad - I have to put the valves one at the top and one at the bottom to avoid cutting tons of plasterboard!!!

Intending to either cap off the other bottom or consider an electric element and simply use the air valve on the other top hole, even though it'll be of no use

I'm doing two of these, my main ring goes round the ground floor ceiling/first floor (underfloor)

One will be installed on the ground floor and one on the first floor. The one on the ground floor below the ring is obviously also going to have a drainoff valve.

For each install which way do I do the flow. I.e. Inlet valve at the top and exit at the bottom or inlet valve at the bottom and exit at the top??

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Cant really understand what your saying, main ring ?? A towel rail has specific in line vertical valves so by tring to use the existing radiator valves just aint going to work. Nine times out of ten an alteration to the pipework will be required to make it look anything decent which will require a drain down. Quite often whilst doing the alteration I use chrome pipe which will enhance the look, but only if its a chrome towel rail. As for top and bottom entry on a towel rail err no way it will look totally ****.
    Maybe you cant see a way to do it neatly but how about getting someone in who probably can do a decent job of it.

3. Rookie101

Rookie101 New Member

Hi Dave,

Between my ground floor ceiling and first floor I have two big pipes

All the rads either go upwards from these using 10mm pipe for the rads on the first floor or go downward to the radiators on the ground floor

Hope this Helps explain it for you

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

if you have 10mm pipes ( microbore) youll probably have manifold somewhere that joins the 10mms to the 22mm flow and returns, these are where you need to do your alterations from, not as your thinking!