Trade rated

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by PC Works, Apr 3, 2017.

1. PC Works

PC Works Member

I've bought a few things recently that have been trade rated on the screwfix site. However when I've read the instructions it's stated that the product/tool is not suitable for professional use.

It makes me think that "trade rated"
    is rather misleading-I don't think screwfix should be using it as a selling point for items which can't be used for trade purposes.

Astramax likes this.
  2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. Think it's just marketing speak for good reviews. Not that it would last every day heavy use.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

TBH, whenever I see the word 'trade' associated with a product, the alarm bells start to ring. There is so much sh**e being sold as trade quality...makes me laugh!

Joe95 and Wayners like this.
  4. PC Works

PC Works Member

Yea I just think it's a bit naughty.

On another level, you can just imagine if anything were to go wrong and you were a professional, that your insurance company wouldn't cover you. Guess I'll have to read the instructions before I get home in future.

5. PC Works

PC Works Member

Agreed. It's particularly dangerous when the product is a ladder or something designed to take your weight.

Do you just stick to the big brands out of interest?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not necessarily as I'm always coming across new brands (to me), although this usually applies to hand tools and widgets. As far as posssible, I like to get tactile with the goods :D

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Trade is a very variable description, industrial is more specific and is generally a better indication of quality. Ladders for example have official classifications - class 1 is industrial and class 2 commercial and class 3 domestic.

Some products are labelled "Trade" because the quality isn't the best and is an economy produce - Trade (contract) emulsion is often very poor quality

However, some products are labelled "trade only" because of their COSHH risks

Screwfix uses the term only to show how many people from the "trade" have recommended it. However, they don't have a "Trade says - don't touch it with a barge pole" rating :p

PC Works likes this.
  8. Speedy23

Speedy23 New Member

Interestingly enough, I have developed the habit, when looking at SF product reviews, of selecting the display "low to high" option first....saved a few mistakes that way!

PC Works likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Like most retailers products, the things Screwfix sells can vary quite a lot of from year to year. Sometimes the products improve sometimes because of cost or legislation the constituent parts can not be as good as they used to be, so I only look at the more recent comments.

10. PC Works

PC Works Member

Yeah I've started doing the same. Seen some horrific reviews for products since I've started doing that so I've steered clear

11. Mattsa

Mattsa New Member

I read both but always start with the bad reviews then make a judgment call. Gotta watch the wording of some item descriptions on SF