Trimming solid wood laminate door more than recommended...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by marcfromleeds, Sep 17, 2014.

1. marcfromleeds

marcfromleeds New Member

Hi all
    I have a door frame which requires me to trim vertically two howdens solid wood laminate doors by about 2.5". (Not actually purchased yet, but this is the preference as they match the rest of the house.)

In the blurb it says you can only remove 5mm top and bottom.
    This the howdens chap told me is because their is a 10mm strip of real wood around the outer edge of the door, so trimming more than this off will remove all this 'real' wood and expose the internal particleboard.
    Eventually after a long conversation he told me it should be fine to trim this much off, but of course he couldn't recommend I do it.

Has anybody trimmed a solid wood laminate door down more than recommended before? Do they fall apart or are they just fine?
    Thanks.

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Fine to do, it won't fall apart, you could cut off the real wood edge first and glue and repin on after if you really wanted although wouldn't say it's necessary.

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As RW, top and bottom aint gonna show unless you climb on steps etc.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

But if they are hollow they will be weaker and may bow in. Also be a bug-trap/residence.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not ideal but it happens all the time, what are your other options.

6. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

True, however most of the veneer doors, the stiles are normally solid particle board oppose to the hollow egg box type doors, in which case you would reglue in the edge piece into the hollow void.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So a 'solid wood laminate door' is actually hollow?, well that just sums it up!.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Do this all the time. No problem with it. If its a hollow door then replace the framing, if its a solid one just cut it.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I had to trim an "egg box" door after we had floor tiled. Just filled the void with glued strips of various thickness ply...No probs. :)

10. marcfromleeds

marcfromleeds New Member

We'll Howdens state their hardwood doors are "constructed using veneered particleboard stiles and rails" so should be fine then

So their maximum trim 5mm top and bottom is really for aesthetic reasons so you don't notice it's not really solid wood if you happen to find yourself up some stairs looking down one day!