Under floor heating multiple substrates

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonnyp55, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Jonnyp55

Jonnyp55 New Member

im soon to start a full refurb and large extension on a 1920 semi. I want to install ufh to the large open plan kitchen at the rear of the property. The floor will be all the same level but a combination of wood and concrete floors (due to knock through and extension). I'm fine with laying the ufh.....I Just had a thought that instead of screeding then tiling I could install polished concrete straight onto the ufh. Has anyone done this? Can anyone see a problem with this? Cheers in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No.

You won't fill all the space around the underfloor piping, you then get problems with heat transfer hot spots, plus possible damage to pipe work with aggregate.

Should use a traditional sand/cement screed or pumped screed, Ideal thickness is between 65 mm and 75 mm approx,for best heat transfer, with some pumped screeds you can get away with 50mm minimum thickness.

Look at Decor Screed Plus, loads of colours & finishes.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Jonnyp55 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. Jonnyp55

Jonnyp55 New Member

Ah rite! Cheers for that. I was just thinking of ways to minimise the height difference between ufh floor and non ufh floors. Back to the drawing board......could do the whole of the ground floor but I don't think the house is worth it. Ah just thinking again......could treat the different substrates as zones.....building ufh into the new conc floors and retrofitting under existing wood floors? ......existing conc floors would have to be broken up and relayed with insulation and ufh... This method would mean all floor levels wouldn't change

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very time consuming retrofitting under existing wood floors, especially if it's a ground floor, 1st floor is a doddle to do. Done houses were we pulled down all ground floor ceilings & replaced, cheaper than skimming old ones,made installing uhf easy.

6. Jonnyp55

Jonnyp55 New Member

Hum.....cheers for your advice. I'll have to think on this one

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another idea,have a look at 'Lopro10' underfloor heating, design for retrofitting, can belaid over exsisting floors, problably other firms do similar, it's very thin, so doesn't add much to the height.
    Might be a way around your problem with the timber floor.

http://www.nu-heat.co.uk/products/retrofit-ufh/lopro10.html

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Is it Russell's house?

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

There is 12mm overlay you can use, there's so many options, if your a plumber just phone ya local rep for the product, never do it without written spec for design, it's a free service so let them do it, that way your covered & it's to their spec, don't try to be an expert on an area your not, it's their product, they are the experts

Plumberbish likes this.
  10. Jonnyp55

Jonnyp55 New Member

Cheers for the info boys.

G&W....... What is the 12mm overlay you are taking about?

11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Hi

It's a 12mm pipe, these are fitted on 18mm boards which have the groves set in the boards, it's ideal for laying direct on existing floors or concrete or any other surface, polypipe will be happy to give you all the help you need, from an on site visit to design, they will send a rep if you want on installation day if you want, they are there to help, you need to make sure it's fitted to their spec so it's insured your warranty, they have different reps for various areas, just phone them & they will appoint you one, it's the only way to do it, they give you pipe centres & loops per zone for correct KW required, no worrys no chance of it being wrong