underboarding roof tile gable end edges

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ravanscroft, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ravanscroft

ravanscroft Member

Hope I've described this correctly?
    On a gable end of house where the roof tiles are sitting on the facia boards the gap between the tiles and the underboarding? is filled with a cement mix.
    Not sure if underboarding is correct term but it is a stiff board greyish in colour. I assume its tacked onto the top edge of the facia board and then cement is filled into edge all along between this board and the roof tiles to give a neat finish..
    Does anyone know what this material is. Hope I explained clearly - I'm not a builder per say!!
    Cheers

2. Roofer

Roofer New Member

It's called undercloak, the most common size is 1200mm x 150mm, it's made from fibre cement (used to be white asbestos), available from Roofing or Builders Merchants, expect to pay 80p to £1 per length.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You described it pretty well. Don't know why no-one has replied. I know your only question was what is it called.

You were nearly there. Undercloak.

It's usually made of asbestos, asbestolux, or some asbestos substitute.

Other kinds will be slate, tiles and there are similar plastic get-ups.

Your type, probably hard asbestos. And as far I can see from here, not dangerous unl;ess you intend to drill, file, saw or otherwise make a lot of asbestos-dust.

Thinking of replacing it ?

Builders yard will probably have it in 600mm/1000mm lengths, 100mm/150mm widths.

And yes, usually nailed to the top of the bargeboard

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Must think up my answers before posting, so that I can type it out in less than 3 minutes. :)

Mr. Handyandy - really

5. ravanscroft

ravanscroft Member

Thanks guys. Planning a new roof for spring!!

6. 4 x 2

4 x 2 New Member

If your planning a new roof in spring and renewin your barge boards and roof battens etc then why don't you think about using plastic dry verge system can be got from marley.you dont get undercloak breaking,mortar falling out and water soaking in.thats why around here we call the mortared verges 'wet verge'.