Underground pipe work.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John Mac, Jul 9, 2015.

1. John Mac

John Mac New Member

guys. I've been asked to do underground pipe work for a neighbour building an extension . As much as I don't have problem doing so, it isn't what I normally do. Problem is how to price the labour cost. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

What's your normal day rate? Charge that...if you earn more than a ground worker he should get a ground worker to do it...unless you are doing it as a favour? In which case can he do you a favour back?

CGN likes this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac New Member

Thanks for your view plumberbish. He has asked me to do job for cash. He building the extension himself. I normally charge £120/day. I don't no what groundwork rate is and he wants to make sure he not under/over paying..

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Walk away, neither of you know what you are doing and it will only end badly.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

All good advice. Your neighbour is obviously after a bargain, just depends whether you are desperate for work. I know ground workers that move mountains in a day and would prob do 3 times the work you and I would do but not charge 3 times the price!

6. Plumberbish

It is difficult, I know a lot of ppl who won't work for friends or family coz they can't charge proper rates, I on the other hand work for normal customers during the day and do my favours when I get chance...mainly evenings n weekends...so as CGN sausage, if you need the work, take it but again don't do it for less than you could be earning elsewhere unless your doing favours...moral dilemma lol

CGN likes this.
  7. Plumberbish

Where did sausage come from!? I wrote "said"

Rulland and chippie244 like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Lack of sleep again PB :D

It is tricky...if you're confident you can do the job, then as PB says, do it as a 'favour' after hours, treat it as a learning experience and price accordingly. Btw, what is your usual job/trade?

9. John Mac

John Mac New Member

Thanks guys. I am a plumber but don't usually get involved in under ground work.no disrespect chippie24, but I'm more than capable. I'm simply trying to find out what the going rate would be.

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Fruit phone by any chance?.

11. John Mac

John Mac New Member

Fruit phone?

12. meady

meady Member

Apple iphone

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Your hour/day rate x time taken, sod what ever anyone else is charging, if your doing it you want whatever you want.

Plumberbish likes this.
  14. John Mac

John Mac New Member

Thanks guys for your advice. See what he says when I give him what I think is a realistic cost.

15. Plumberbish

Yeah it was my generic fruit based smart ar*e phone

16. Plumberbish

Double your day rate n say well it should be this but as your a friend I can do it for...(insert normal day rate here)
    Everyone's a winner! You get normal pay m he thinks your amazing lol

17. John Mac

John Mac New Member

Lol... See how that goes

18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Never sell yourself short, You have studied, taken exams, had experiences, gained knowledge. If anybody wants a bit of that they have to pay.
    If your ever told thats expensive just tell them to visit a solicitor and see how much they charge.