Unfair discount structure

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by peterwhayward, May 19, 2012.

1. peterwhayward

peterwhayward New Member

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that they are being overlooked when special discounts are given to electricians and plumbers,even though some of the products they use are the same as we do. I regularly get called upon to do small electrical and plumbing work by my customers and i really take exception to screwfix not giving me the discounts they offer to electricians and plumbers.Why should we as builders be treated as anything other than trade customers when screwfix owe there very beginning to the likes of us and to this day still regularly use the "where the trade buys" slogan.Perhaps Screwfix you should adopt a more fair strategy and have the ****** to treat ALL YOUR TRADE CUSTOMERS AS TRADE AND THE PUBLIC CUSTOMER AS NON TRADE. I

2. I Agree, ridiculous. Ours has turned into - Where the public go to ask a hundred and one questions and the trade go to cue for half an hour behind them. I've got * round the corner from screwfix which is usually 20% cheaper on all items. I keep thinking about going in the plumbing side making out we do plumbing and seeing what we get offered.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Totally agree. Ordinary Joe Public should have a separate queue so they can ask their stupid questions at a different counter. Last time I was in the SF trade counter, the woman in front was asking if the assistant knew whether the bath taps she was ordering would fit her bath. The assistant (bless her) asked what sort of bath the customer had, only to be told "It's a white one.

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Got to agree completely, nothing is better value at Screwfix anymore at all, when they first started out there was real value all over the catalogue. Now everything is cheaper at * Going in a trade counter is like wading through a herd of pretend tradesman now. I used to go to Screwfix at least 5 times a week, now it really is once in a blue moon. I go to the same counter as you Leicester builder( I am guessing) and it is a nonsense now.

The plumbers and sparks discount really hacks me off. A terrible move by Screwfix in my opinion, any half decent sparks or plumber will have proper accounts set up at proper merchants, not a glorified argos counter. As a longstanding customer of Screwfix it is an absolute kick in the knackers that I am expected to subsidise sparks and plumbers making even more money for what is essentially glorified painting by bloody numbers by paying higher prices to let them pay lower prices. A great way to alienate the vast majority of trade customers.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

5. Baldrick43

Baldrick43 New Member

Screwfix are getting to big for their boots!
    I can understand that they want to make as much profit as possible (don't we all?) but now at the expense of their long standing regular customers.
    I have been using Screwfix since the very early eighties, but due to their discount ways, I am looking for somewhere else to go.
    I have been in the building industry for forty years, I started as an apprentice chippy, then went through the electrical side of the business, then on to the plumbing side.
    I ended up as a Corgi registered engineer (among other things)
    C&G certificates mean nothing these days, they are not recognised???
    Yet lesser qualified people can get trade discount at Screwfix and we can't!!!
    I have only just found this out and to be honest, I am disgusted!
    Talk about discrimination!
    I am off now to return the new DeWalt tools that I bought from Screwfix yesterday, I have spent in excess of £5000.00 with them so far this year, but no more, if that is their attitude! I will then go and buy them again where they give real discount to the real trade.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Couldn't agree more.
    Been in the building trade 37 years, I'm another one who was shocked the other day, to find that my C&G certificates are worthless for a trade account.
    Snaffled a Plumbfix catalogue from the Bath Screwfix, got told off for taking it, it's ONLY for the tradeo_O.But, get yourself a copy, you'll be shocked at the prices.
    Also noticed prices are creeping up, bought some lockshield valves,price has risen by 50p or so, only in the last few months since I bought the last ones.
    Solvent cement 250ml (14295) is another one, now £5:49p retail, trade only £3:58p, add on vat £4:29p.
    Air Admittance valve(42968) is another item with a high marked up for retail customers.
    Retail customers are being screwed with the prices,to benefit the trade customers, time to find another source I think.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  7. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

100% agree. Recently had to pay full whack for a load of plumbing gear and because we are a joinery business we couldn't get the discount. Also the public using my local branch as an information centre is becoming a real problem. One day last week I queued for almost 25 minutes. Come on Screwfix get this sorted. Either trade only counters or early mornings for trade only.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

same as what sort of car yoiu got, a blue oneLOL

9. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

No response from screwfix???

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  10. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Maybe they are to embarrassed :p

11. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

I agree that screwfix should have trade prices for all trades not just plumbers and electricians. Going to get my ironmongery direct from other sources as you can get it way cheaper, seems anywhere the public buys the price is way higher than it should be for example 2.5ltr evostik contact adhesive in screwfix is £22.99 else where you can get it for £16.40 for the exact same. Take note Kingfisher, Tradepoint is a ripoff and you are making Screwfix the same.
    Howdens is the same now still supposedly "Trade Only" but anyone can buy there now, gone madly expensive.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well Kingfisher are in the s***, closing B&Q stores but opening more Screwfix stores, a cunning plan I think.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm lucky as I do not have to worry about trade discounts as any item I would like to have purchased is always out of stock............that's a real saving, can't be bothered to fluff around any more so go elsewhere.......times money.

14. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Yes costs less to operate aScrewfix branch, so moving profit margins from B&Q to Screwfix

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Went into 3 local Screwfix's other week, all were out of stock of the bits I wanted.:(

Seem to becoming a regular occurrence lately.

16. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Usually basic items like solvent weld fittings that are out of stock in my branch.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Can you remember when Screwfix first started and the promise was "If it's in the catalogue it's in stock."?

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Way back in 1992, showing your age now...:eek:

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Feeling my age too :confused::confused:

20. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

I find the only thing they stock really well are catalogues.o_O

I have a plumbfix account but prefer to use smaller suppliers as they can do good deals as well, plus plumbfix's plumbing selection is a bit limited for me.;)

Astramax likes this.