Universal Depth Stop for drills

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYER needs help, May 14, 2009.

1. DIYER needs help

DIYER needs help New Member

Dear all

does anyone know if there is such a thing as a universal depth stop. I have got a Black & Decker Cordless Drill (HP188F3) but really need a depth stop. However as this model does not come with one, I was wondering if there is a universal one I could get instead.

Thanks

2. ecm

ecm New Member

Wrap a bit of electrical insulation tape round the drill bit at the appropriate depth. ;)

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yep spot on as ecm says but set the tape 5mm beyond the mark you are after and stop 5mm short otherwise you may fold back the tape with progresive plunges going deeper and deeper

big all

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There are such a thing as rings that are different sizes and have grub-screws to attach to drill bits at required depth. Suppliers ? dunno.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

the rings are available in dowelling set but generally in 3 sizes. They would normally be used to indicate depths in wood and may not stand up to the rigours of hammer drilling in masonry.

For this type of drill, tape is the best answer.....

Some portable drills have depth stops, look for this feature next time you buy one.

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Or perhaps you could duct tape a knitting needle to the top of your drill ?

Wouldn't look good but would probably do the job.

:)

7. nigel

nigel Guest

I think he is after a physical depth stop, the kind built into the front handle on most mains drills, the problem you have is the cordless drill does not have universal sized rim that most corded drills have, yours should have a front handle, which you could drill a hole thru near the drill and fit a piece of threaded rod thru with a nut either side allowing you to lock it in position as a depth stop.? Or did I mis-understand your question?

8. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

A diy solution: put the bit in the drill and measure the projection, let's say it's 70mm, if you want to drill 30mm deep find a small block of 40mm timber and drill right through it and then leave it on the bit, every hole you drill now will be 30 mm deep.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've done a similar trick to that, when wanting an accurate depth, but I've used a piece of metal tubing, cut to length & slipped over the drill bit...I suppose that I was fortunate in having the right size tubing. ;)

10. imran_

imran_ New Member