Unsightly gas metre and pipework - what can I do?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by CJAW, Apr 30, 2016.

1. CJAW

CJAW New Member

So, my builder cut through the pipe connecting the main gas supply to our house. Gas man came today and I arrived home to find he had replaced the gas metre which was tucked away in my garage with a huge white box which he has put on the outside wall, with a long length of copper (I think) pipe also on the outside wall. As we are digging up the patio at present, is an alternative to run the pipework underground? Can we also change the box to a smaller one (we have a four bed detached house so I don't know if size is a factor here) and is there anywhere else that we could put it?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who comments - I haven't any idea about gas, but woukd be grateful for any thoughts on this.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did National Grid do it?

Did the gas fitter discuss with you the route they'd be taking.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your got three choices, surfaced, semi recessed & semi buried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CJAW

CJAW New Member

He discussed it with my other half and said there wasn't an alternative but I'm sure there must be a more subtle way to do this...

5. CJAW

CJAW New Member

6. CJAW

CJAW New Member

Thank you - pic attached. Can we re-route the pipework underground and then use the smaller box?
    image.jpg

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pipe won't last long under that door step.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought it was over the top of the door.:eek::eek:

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I suppose having it outside is easier for the meter reader.

The box could be recessed, but will cost, as will need a recess cutting out in the brickwork.

Getting my meter moved in few months time.

10. CJAW

CJAW New Member

Apparently we only have a single layer of brickwork so they could recess it. Happy to pay as I may be able to get our builder to contribute to it. can I ask what it costs to get a metre moved, and can we house it indoors?

11. Have to agree with the original poster.that box is an eyesore stuck there.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think it has to be sited on an external wall.

You can get a rough price guide on National grid website.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a good link, taken from National Grid website.

Attached Files:

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Option B (No Box), says can be sited internally.

Meter reader would require access to take readings.

15. Why could he not repair the leaking pipe.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the gas meter is located inside can the pipework be rerouted inside also?

17. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

That gas pipe is an abortion in my opinion,put it this way if they'd done that for me they'd be redoing in,I hope the op hasn't got any kids,cause you know they'll kick at it.They go on about gas safety then some clown does that.mind you it doesn't suprise me,they did new gas mains near me and left a disabled old lady without gas as she had a leak,I went round to try and help her and found the leak straight away.True it was on her pipework so technically not transco's fault,however the pipe had been altered by them so they could move their bit,it was so stupid,a compression fitting with no paste on it,gas fittings must always have a suitable jointing compound applied to them,unless they have a fibre or rubber washer.Anyway the emergency engineer wasn't best pleased when he came out,neither was the manager(guy in a suit) that arrived shortly after,gas supply restored,no bill and a grovelling apology.Now that's what I call a result.

18. CJAW

CJAW New Member

Thank you everyone - I prefer the semi concealed ones. Can we run has pipes under the ground and can the box be on a wall adjacent to the house?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think best to contact NG, they can quote over the phone and advise you best.

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would suggest you also chase the builder - he caused the damage and should be required to re-instate to te same standard as before. Get him to do te digging, cutting, brickwork &c at his cost and then tell NG to move to an acceptable location.