Unswitched spur in zone 1

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Bit stuck on bright ideas for sorting this.... It isolates [well nearly] the timer fan and is over the bath and in easy reach on someone standing in the bath, less than 2.3 off the floor. Unfortunately its a timer fan so it should be a 3 pole switch but its a complete pain to rewire so wondered whether I could get an IPX4 fitting to suit. Cant find a three pole but open to ideas, apart from rewiring...:)

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Is it an internal wall? Can you move the switch to the other side of the wall outside the b-room?

3. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

No, fan is on outside wall and spur directly underneath...

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Does anyone see a problem putting a fan isolator next to a fan if its outside the zones? I've got 3 to install in a decorated house and there would be a lot less mess if I did it this way. Ceilings are 3.2 metres high so its well outside and out of reach.

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

No pete, if its outside the zones do what you want

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Its more the other regs - has to be suitable for the environment etc - and the agro from the customer when their smart **** friend of the family that states "you cant have a switch in the bathroom"

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The Holy Bible sayeth

Switchgear and accessories

Accessories, SELV socket-outlets and shaver supply units toBS EN 61558-2-5allowed.

Socket-outlets allowed 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Sure I know what you mean about the environment but an isolator high up on the wall outside the zones isnt more likely to be touched with wet hands than one outside if you ask me. New builds seem to place them on the outside above the door which makes sense but the special location is the zones opposed to the name. There was actually something on the wire (the nic webcast thing) about an fcu directly above a sink (not a bathroom thou) which is obviously a dumb place to locate it but they said nothing wrong with that either

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

More to do with steam etc, in terms of environment.

FatHands likes this.