UPVC Cladding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Little Ern, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

For garage gable ends the intention is to use UPVC cladding on a 4x2 frame and to clad the fascia and barge board as well. I really don't like the look of the nails with white caps on them so was thinking of using Gripfil or similar. Is this OK? (or any better suggestions)

Thanks,
    L.E.

2. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

Hi i fitted some wickes upvc cladding recently, all you use to fix the cladding is stainless steel nails also from wickes and pin through the tongue of the claddding when the next board is put on it covers the nail up , also you must put a roofing felt behind the cladding to waterproof the structure. hope this helps

Nick

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Sparkydude is right put some felt behind it but I glue it up and Gripfil is pretty good. I've heard of secret nailing it but the tongue is raised slightly at the nailed point and theres a lot of fiddling round to nip out a bit of the 'next' panel to accommodate the nailed bit. This is the most profound an illegible posting I have done yet it seems to make sense - i hope it does to you.

4. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

Sorry charlie, i think you must have meant the nails with the tops on, the nails you buy from wickes for this cladding dont have heads on them they are just 20mm stainless ringshank nails, and the cladding had a groove in it specifically for fixing, so no need to nip out a bit as you said.

Nick

5. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

Thanks Sparkydude and CF.

I'd not thought about the felt. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Cheers,
    L.E.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are using the tongue and groove hollow cladding, there is no need for felt, as the cladding is plastic and forms a waterproof seal when installed correctly. Being twin-wall it also is an insulator. You should pin, screw or nail each 'board' at the opposite side to the tongue(tongue at top,fix at bottom)
    This is normally very thin and narrow(might like to bradawl a hole first if nailing). I presume you are also talking about using the polytop pins for fixing the fascias. Really, the 30mm and 40mm polytops don't look too bad. If you were talking about the 50mm ones, you don't need them. They ARE ugly. By the way, if you were to felt behind the cladding, then gripfill, you would only be fixing the cladding to the felt. Tut,tut
    Hope that's useful.
    Handyandy - really

7. sparkydude

sparkydude Member

The cladding you are talking about is only used for internal uses, or soffit board under a fascia, it is not suitable to use as a cladding on a vertical face. The cladding we are talking about is the foamed core UPVC stuff which is rigid, and not really flimsy like the opne you mean. How the heck do you get the idea that it will be just fixed to roofing felt???? its obvious that the cladding would be fixed to the wooden structure of the garage and not to felt ,Would have thought that Handy andy would have known that -Really

Nick

8. Zarqu0n

Zarqu0n New Member

Whilst we're on the UPVC topic may I ask a question?

I want to clad the soffits of my house with UPVC, I don't want to try and replace them just make them look nicer and protect the wood a bit. Our tiles overhang quite a way and I suspect removing the old wood will cause more problems.

What do I need to use??

Thanks!

9. ormus1

ormus1 New Member

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

"The cladding we are talking about is the foamed core UPVC stuff which is rigid, and not really flimsy like the one you mean."
    Where was that mentioned, then? Not here.
    "For garage gable ends the intention is to use UPVC cladding on a 4x2 frame and to clad the fascia and barge board as well. I really don't like the look of the nails with white caps on them so was thinking of using Gripfil or similar. Is this OK? (or any better suggestions)

Thanks,
    L.E.

I was under the impression that this was a clad-over job.
    And I could show you a hundred houses that have been clad with this t&g hollow 'soffit' board down the walls. It's a whisker different to the t&g hollow shiplap that is meant for exterior cladding. If the 4"*2" frame is already there, is it suggested that felt be put over it, then battens then glue cladding on to it? I don't think so.
    Handyandy - really

11. Little Ern

Little Ern New Member

Been away for a few days so apologies for not replying to the comments from you all.
    I should probably add that the new garage pitched roof is a replacement for a flat felt one. At the moment the rafters and ridge board are in position but no framework for the gable ends.

By using felt behind the cladding I would obviously go for mechanical fixing rather than gripfil. If the 'invisible' nailing is as good as it sounds then that will be fine. I'm tempted to use felt even if the cladding is totally waterproof.

Many thanks for all the comments.
    Regards,
    L.E.

12. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Just a word of warning guys. I was about to place an order from www.nationalplastics.co.uk worth only £54 but the delivery cost was an additional £48!!!!