UPVC Double Galazing Rust Removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tolley, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Tolley

Tolley New Member

My double glazing is showing yellow/brown stains at some joints. The joints in question aren't those that are UPVC-welded but those joints that have internal screws; therefore my assumption is that the screws are starting to rust. Setting aside the fact that if the screws rust right through the structural integrity of the frames will be weakened I do want to try and clean it off. I previously bought Screwfix UPVC cleaner but that didn't do anything for these stains. I am contemplating trying a polishing mop in a drill/grinder.

Has anyone tried to get rid of such stains, or has any other ideas (I don't want to go to the expense nearterm of replacing the windows).

Thanks

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not sure if I can think why you should have ANY screws for joints in upvc, unless you mean where frames are screwed to the wall or other side-frames.

Anyway, best to remove the screw, replace with a good one, seal a cap over the head.

Rust can get into the surface of plastic so may not be able to be removed without removing layer of plastic.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really