USB socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spen123, Oct 26, 2016.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Had the nic out today for an assessment all went well but the bloke mentioned that he normally installs a fcu for USB socket to isolate. It's seem good but then again a shaver is the same thing a transformer. He said he'd seen a few burnt out and they use electric when not in use as the transformer is still energised. Thoughts

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Sort of undoes the convenience of having usb output if you have to put a fcu in as well, as for using electricity.....I think the assessor is wrong on both counts imho.
    If Joe blogs sees or smells a fault on a socket what do they normally do?, just turn off the circuit and call someone to investigate.

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

It would seem a terrible design floor if it was the case

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

shaver is the same thing a transformer

No they are not the same, a shaver socket does have a transformer but the USB socket uses a switch-mode power supply which is much more likely to suffer a catastrophic failure than a simple double wound transformer! The shaver sockets also usually have a switch which disconnects the mains when the shaver plug is removed.

FatHands likes this.
  5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The combined 13A/USB sockets have the USB powered up all of the time, depending on the unit about 150mA on standby.
    The grid type ones are switched, so 0 standby current.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So do the manufacturers state that they are a direct replacement for a standard double socket outlet BUT require local isolation in the form of an fcu or similar?.
    Nah :cool:, and as we all know, manufacturers guidelines are used as precedence to BS7671 :rolleyes:

7. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

So do you recommend a fcu then

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

A shaver only is in use under load then ams a USB is constantly switching to achieve its dc load if I understand it

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Those sockets+USB things do not like Insulation Resistance tests being poked up them!

Its a real PITA, just finished second fix in a house with about 10 of those sockets +USBs, now have to take the USB sockets off the wall again, put the L&Ns in WAGOs, do the IR tests and then put it all back again. An FCU on each would have solved that problem, but customer only decided for combo sockets+USB at the last minute.

KIAB likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Went & had a look around a showhouse (being nosey) other month, & all four bedrooms had one Knightbridge 2G outlet, comprising a single 13A socket with 4 USB Sockets, & kitchen had two Knightsbridge 1G quad usb outlets.:eek:

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Apart from isolation I don't see any point in the FCU, it wouldn't have any effect on safety unless a 3 amp fuse was fitted and that wouldn't be any good for the socket!

FatHands likes this.
  12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you are going the the fcu extent I would rather have stand alone USB with isolation switch rather than combined as they work better

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Whats the main use for those USB sockets?

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I am going to be so amused when, in 5 years time, the USB socket is replaced by a different standard. Then we will all have a lot of work doing some swopping out the USB sockets for Apple Lightning or Thunderbolt or the Philips Waazosock or whatever.

I mean, its only a few years ago that the data standard interface was an RS232 connector
    [​IMG]
    ....now we have USB - it is in its fourth version in only 8 years. And look out for USB-C. Coming to a wall socket near you?

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I reckon those USB sockets are used mainly for mobile phone charging - if that is the case all I can say is, flipping heck never would I fit them in my gaff..absolutely ridiculous.

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got an Avantree Powerhouse, charges 4 devices pretty quickly and much more flexible.

[​IMG]

koolpc likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Knightsbridge 13A Switched Socket + Quad USB charger outlet has a 5V DC 5.1A rating, this is split: 1 x 2.1A outlet – dedicated for high drain devices such as tablets and 3.0A – shared over 3 outlets for smartphone and other portable USB devices.

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I thought that they already had. Are these USB sockets on 13 amp sockets USB 2 or USB 3?
    I have both on my PC and if you try to insert a USB plug in the blue USB socket it is very tight. Now I have read that they are backwards compatible but the USB 3 socket has more contacts . Can you please clarify this for me ?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I don't think it makes a difference, they're only providing power not doing data transfer.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

USB 2 or USB3 makes no difference, it's only providing power to charge your phone, tablet only,