Use connections in shaver socket for mirror with light in

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ah_001, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ah_001

ah_001 New Member

Hi, I am a newbie and am not on here to try and claim anything other than that.

I am a DIY 'er' and know when to stop and call a professional in whatever it may be.

On this occasion I am simply trying to see of I can get rid of a shaver socket that has been in the bathroom for longer than I care to remember and never been used. I want to go into the loft and pull the cable through so that i can drop in down in the stud on the other side of the bathroom to feed a mirror with lights in it.

Is this ok? Having spent an hour getting covered in newly laid fibreglass in the loft I seem to have the current feed for the shaver socket coming from the light and therefore would assume it ok as it appears to be already on the lighting circuit however assumption is the mother of all *$ck up's! and so I turn to your superior knowledge.

In short, can I unscrew all of the wires in the back of the shaver socket, pull them up into the loft and back down on the other side wall to feed a mirror with a light in it?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to your repsonses.

Regards.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Short answer, yes!

3. ah_001

ah_001 New Member

Awesome answer and much apprecited, thank you.

One last thing I thought on that subject......there is a sensor for the lights in the mirror, apparantly I just waft my hand under the mirror like Paul Daniels and they come on.

A friend who has a similar product says that his is temporamental to say the least so is there any way of by passing the sensor and just have it come on everytime I pull the pull cord for the main light?

Justa  a thought.....

Thanks again seneca.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You will just need to move the live connection in the existing light fitting from the permanent live position to the switched live position, (the one that goes to the bulb) and then by-pass the sensor in the mirror.

5. twotwo22

twotwo22 Member

You ought to check that your sensor is  temperamental first, before attempting to wire it out.
    If you do wire it out, you WILL need a switch somewhere.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I agree with twotwo22 too. :) I was only thinking that ealier. Wire it up as per the instructions and use the sensor.

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

He will have a switch somewhere if he does what he's saying and wires it through the existing lighting pull switch won't he 2222!

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Shaver socket that has been in the bathroom

9. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I spose even shaver sockets have to go to the bathroom for a Jimmy

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

11. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

bathroom jimmy with light on

12. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

to show you the way

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Easier than bathroom jimmy with hard on!!!!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. twotwo22

twotwo22 Member

I didn't think think there was an existing lighting pull switch. He said he wanted to remove a shaving socket and use the feed to that, so it would be a permanent live, un-switched.

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

2222,  In the op's first message 4th paragraph he says the feed comes from the existing light and then in his second message he talks about  the pull cord switch for the main light.

16. twotwo22

twotwo22 Member

Ok. Fair comment. I had seen that it came from "the light" but I presumed it came from the unswitched mains of a ceiling rose. If, indeed, the shaver socket only works with the light on then, yes,he could wire out the sensor.

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's why I told him right at the start that he'd need to move the shaver feed from the permanent live of the ceiling light to the switched live position, 2222.

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

19. ah_001

ah_001 New Member

Thanks for all of the advice, just thought let those that might be bothered know that all of you were right as the sensor appears to be fine but if it does start to go on the blink then ill re read the comments and follow instruction given on here.

Genuinely appreciate the help and to see that although I dont ussually use forums to ask questions its great to see that there are genuine people out there willing to help.

Cheers,

ah_001

20. J.P.

J.P. New Member